Thread: fishing on haul road

Default fishing on haul road

I am going up the Haul Road on the 19th of August to hunt caribou by pump station 2 and was wondering if it is worth bringing a compact rod for grayling? What is a good lure/bait? Thanks

Default Haul Road Grayling

Stop at all the bridges and any slow moving water. Small black spinners and dry flys work great skeeter pattern. Use a clear casting bobber with your spinning gear to throw your flies. Me and a friend caught them one after another until we were tired of taking them off the hook. Good luck.

Steve

Stop at the Kuparek river. Cast small dry flies, I don't think it really matters which, and you will have a blast. Next time I go up, I am going to dedicate one day to nothing but fishing. Good luck.

Please catch and release! I've seen first hand what keeping grayling can do to destroy world class fishing. They are pretty stupid fish and its pretty easy to catch every last one of them and ruin things for generations to come. At the very least keep enough for dinner that night.
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Default I agree

These were the only grayling I have ever kept. My mom ask me to bring these home. They are fair eating fresh and not very good at all after they have been frozen. So keep a shore lunch and let the rest go.

Steve

Virtually every creek and river, (especially the brown water) and sizable lake you pass north of the Yukon bridge has good grayling fishing.

Small spinners and beadhead flies.

The following is just a suggestion: Kanuti River, Jim River, South and Middle Forks of the Koyukuk, Hammond River, Bettles River, Atigun River, Galbraith and Toolik Lakes and everything north of there reasonably deep. The Kuparuk is good but it gets a lot of pressure 1/4 mile either side of the bridge. Don't overlook the Sag either, especially if it's running clear. +20" grayling in the Sag (please bear in mind grayling grow slooowly so please don't keep big ones)

Have fun.