Thread: Game Bag2- Recommend

Default Game Bag2- Recommend

Have to get some game bags. Either of these: any good?

Worried that the cheaper ones my be "cheesecloth" style, but the canvas bags are really pricey. Has anyone ever used regular white large WalMart pillowcases? Think it would be wise to buy 8 canvas bags, then take a dozen cheap large pillowcases and if we're struck by awesome luck and bag two moosies we can use the latter on #2 or transfer the meat prior to #1's fly-out?

TAG bags, this are the best that I have found and the easiest to use. Use them on a moose last year and this were fantastic. Get 2 sets, that way you can swap them out when 1 set gets wet, wash them, hang them up to dry and voila, you have another set ready to use.

I bought good canvas game bags several years ago. I used them a couple of times and then went back to good quality disposable bags. I like the large animal sets that Mt. View Sports sells. Canvas bags are bulky. My wife wasn't too crazy about bloody game bags in the washer, either. I guess a guy could fold and press them after washing to reduce the bulk, but that doesn't sound like me. I think canvas bags would be to cat's meow if you had a mule or horse to pack the meat. In my meat pack cheap bags work just fine.

Default Tag Bags at Wiggy's

they are $70 for 6 28"x60" bags and one more for the back straps. I just bought them and I think I will like them. They dry fast and bugs can't penetrate like even the heavy cotton ones. The guy doesn't have many. Like 8 more sets of moose bags. He said that is all he has until next year. No more are available. Plus some guy in fairbanks designed them, support the local guy. Plus they pack up small. all bags fit into a mesh bag that is 8" tall or less, by 6" wide and 4" deep. Can put anywhere compared to the other bags which take a whole back pack alone. I am sold on them and bought them.

Default Game bags

Go with the Alaskan game bags. I have used them for the last few years, they work great. They work on all but the really big bodied moose. You can wash and reuse, if the wife does not get to mad.

Anchorage, Alaska

Default Game Bags

I'd check the archives on this one. It's a popular topic and a lot of great stuff has been written on it here already. Here's a few things to consider:

1. Avoid pillowcases and bedsheets. Too fragile, don't breathe well, and will rip if you look at them crossways.

2. Your bags must be tough, breathable, and somewhat absorbent. This allows a good glaze to form on the meat, which is one of your best defenses against spoilage from surface bacterial contamination.

3. Some of the best bags I've used came from Alaska Mill and Feed. They are tough cotton bags that are very hard to rip. In over 20 years hunting in Alaska I have never lost game meat because of cotton bags.

4. Avoid cheesecloth type bags. Two problems with this material. It sticks to the meat (the bags are stretchy and clingy), and they allow fly eggs to penetrate to the meat. This has happened to me with the Alaska Game Bags mentioned.

5. Comments on synthetic game bags. I have written on this in the past, incurring the wrath of those who really like them. We are all entitled to our opinions and here is mine. I used these bags last fall, and nearly lost a couple of moose quarters because the bags didn't allow enough airflow for the meat to glaze over. I put half my moose in cotton bags and half in the synthetics. After hanging for two days, during which we removed the bags at night to allow better airflow when the flies were not out, the meat in the cotton bags was dry to the touch (which is what you want in most cases), but the meat in the synthetics had a slick surface. It was not merely moist, it was slick. Those who know meat care know that a slick surface usually indicates a lot of surface bacterial growth. At the conclusion of the hunt I took all the meat to Doug Drum, owner of Indian Valley Meats near Anchorage, and he confirmed that the meat in the synthetic bags was very close to spoilage. While I realize that "very close" is an ambiguous term, the bottom line is that Doug had some very unfavorable comments about the bags, and indicated that at least three other moose he knows of were spoiled because the bags didn't perform properly. Having said that, I know many hunters have had satisfactory results with the bags. My experience last year is somewhat limited. I do believe there are times when they will work well, and times when you might be better off with cotton. I think the effectiveness of these bags decreases in warmer temps, or at least that's what the trend seems to be as I hear what other users are saying.

I continue to use the synthetics (I just purchased another set from Marc Taylor late last spring), but mostly I think I'll use them for packing meat from the kill site to camp, and change out for cottons in camp. I like the synthetics because they pack up into a small light package that is much easier to carry in my pack than the heavy, bulky cotton bags. That's my take anyway, for what it's worth. Your results may vary, and I'm certain some folks will want to argue about it. Not me.

Hope it helps!

LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address:
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay