Thread: New Kenai boat regs ??

Question New Kenai boat regs ??

Can anyone direct me to where I can find these "new Kenai emmission standards" regulations that are supposed to take effect next year?? Is there also going to be a change in the Max HP allowed, and finally, is it acceptable to have twin 50's mounted on your boat and only use one if the limit is 50 HP? Sorry for all the questions but I'm looking for a boat to fish the Kenai and Cook Inlet (on good days-ha) and I want to make sure I'm within the regs. Thanks

Here is a link to the news release.

http://www.dnr.state.ak.us/standard/...aner%20Engines
    Brian
    -----
    '85 Honda Goldwing
    '92 Yamaha Venture XL
    '00 Polaris Sport Touring
    '06 Polaris Ranger 700XP SE
    -Too many guns to list here

The regs say you must go to a 4 stroke or a DFI 2 stroke (under 35hp). I have a 2 stroke 35 hp Yamaha with a carb. Does anyone know if it be converted to DFI? If the conversion to FI is cheaper than a new/used 4 stroke that may be a good option for me.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by aces-n-eights View Post
    The regs say you must go to a 4 stroke or a DFI 2 stroke (under 35hp). I have a 2 stroke 35 hp Yamaha with a carb. Does anyone know if it be converted to DFI? If the conversion to FI is cheaper than a new/used 4 stroke that may be a good option for me.

Thanks!
    I could be wrong, but donít believe thereís a DFI 2 stroke smaller then about 90hp yet.

So if I read that right, you can still use less than 35hp except in july up to 2010. Correct?

Put simply for you folks here are the new regs

--- Jan 1, 2008- Motor size limit increases to 50hp for 4 stroke/DFI (Johnson e -tecs.)... All motors 35hp and under may still be 2 stroke.

--- July 2008/July 2009- All motors must be either 4 strokes, or e-tecs.

--- Jan 1-2010 -- All boats must have 4 strokes or e tecs.

--- Jan 1 2010- All boats must be under 21 feet long, and 106 inches wide

By the way, evinrude/johnson e-tecs come from 2hp-250hp if im correct, they are very impressive

Quote Originally Posted by breausaw View Post
    I could be wrong, but donít believe thereís a DFI 2 stroke smaller then about 90hp yet.
    Bummer! Thanks for the info!

DFI = EVINRUDE E TEC- 2hp-250hp

Quote Originally Posted by Fishwhacker View Post
    DFI = EVINRUDE E TEC- 2hp-250hp
    I have heard nothing but good things about these motors

Question

Quote Originally Posted by emo View Post
    Can anyone direct me to where I can find these "new Kenai emmission standards" regulations that are supposed to take effect next year?? Is there also going to be a change in the Max HP allowed, and finally, is it acceptable to have twin 50's mounted on your boat and only use one if the limit is 50 HP? Sorry for all the questions but I'm looking for a boat to fish the Kenai and Cook Inlet (on good days-ha) and I want to make sure I'm within the regs. Thanks
    I have seen several boats up in the Kenai river with "over" 50 hp motors on them, had them tilled up and were using kickers to get around. Same goes for small inboards as well. Don't know if that'll change too with these up and coming changes though.

Default Careful with the big motors...

The key point folks forget with these new 4-strokes is that they weigh a lot more. I've seen a lot of boats suffer serious transom damage when folks hang these heavier motors on an older aluminum sled that can't handle the weight. What folks don't realize is that most of this damage occurs during trailering when all that weight is bouncing along our *smooth* intrastate roadways.

If you hang 2 new 50's on the back, you're increasing the weight many times over that old 35. Make sure the boat can handle it. You might want to have a custom boat builder do some motor mount work to beef up the transom and you should give serious thought to a good full bunk trailer (no EZ-Loaders or rollers) if you travel with the boat a lot.

Further, if you put too much weight on too big of a boat that is limited to 50hp, you will not be able to get on step. This is the cause of excess wake and the river bank erosion problems that plague the Kenai. It has little to do with hp and speed, and everything to do with size and weight.

Yes you can have two 50's with the new rules if you are only running one of them. I ran a sled with a 4-stroke 50 with the 35 detune kit. I kept the original 50 kit as it could be switched back and forth in a couple minutes so I could run it at 50 in other lakes and such, but detune back to 35 in the river. The problem was that 35 wasn't enough to get fully on step, which caused a lot of wake. With it set at 50, the boat ran great on full step. The actual top speed difference was only about 5mph, but the performance and wake output was everything. This new 50 rule is one of the best ideas yet. The reduced boat size limits are also going to help reduce the wake problems as long as people don't overload the smaller boats with too much weight.