Thread: Newbie to hunting packs external frame question

Default Newbie to hunting packs external frame question

I have never used anything but a daypak. I have a good daypack, is it easy to attach a daypak to an external frame like the Barney's frame?

sorry if this is a repeat or something. I 've never needed a pack for hunting before, but I've used daypacks. Just wondering if a daypack I already have will fit on a frame like the Barney's frame.

You can lash about anything to an external frame, but there's a cost/weight involved in doing so. Are you planning to lug in your daypack on the frame and then ditch the frame and just use the daypack? You'll be carring extra weight of the daypack straps, belt, etc. I've strapped drybags to an external frame, but I wouldn't do it for a sheep hunt or anything where long hikes were involved. Using a bag designed for the frames seems to keep the weight distributed better in my opinion. Hope that helps and I'm sure some more seasoned guys can give you more information on this.

On a back pack hunt I typically hunt all day with my frame pack. Once it's unloaded to set up camp it's light enough to carry all day. I do this because I almost never kill game close to camp and it saves me the extra round trip of having to go back and get my frame to haul out my kill.

snowcamoman pretty much covered it, but if you prefer a daypack for day to day then bring it.

Default Packs

I have used a small, light weight dry bag to put my essentials in and have lashed that to my pack frame.

Default Packing Tips

I do it the same way Eric does, for the same reasons. I never leave camp without my pack, loaded with the essentials I need to take care of an animal, spend the night out, etc.

I believe Barney's makes a day pack specifically designed to fit on their frame packs, and I know you can strap a day pack to any frame. But I always wondered what the point was? I guess if you were hunting elsewhere and only needed the day pack, it might make sense. But in Alaska it never made sense to me. Just get the regular frame pack and bag and be done with it.

Hope it helps.

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Default Squeek?

I have used a Freghter frame for years for my back country hunting. It tends to "squeek" as I move. Hard to be sneaky when you're going squeek, squeek. Does the Barney?

LeonardC

My '92 vintage Cabela's Alaskan II (based on the Camp Trails Moose Freighter) clinked and creaked and squeaked too. I modded it a few years ago: removed the metal zipper pulls, added a few more grommets, nylon bushings and screwed the pack to the frame with S/S oval headed countersink screws and ny-loc bolts. No more squeaks and less flex under load.

Thanks for all the help. I didn't really have a preference until now. I have a daypack or two and just wanted to know If I should use them or buy the pack specifically for the frame. I'll start looking at a complete Barney's set up. Thanks again.

Default Yep

Quote Originally Posted by roknjs View Post
    Thanks for all the help. I didn't really have a preference until now. I have a daypack or two and just wanted to know If I should use them or buy the pack specifically for the frame. I'll start looking at a complete Barney's set up. Thanks again.
    Excellent Choice!
    Everything that lives and moves will be food for you.
    Genesis 9:3