Thread: Preparing a cataraft for shipping

Question Preparing a cataraft for shipping

Good evening.

I am planning a float hunt in a few weeks. As I am getting ready to ship my gear ahead of time, to include the cataraft, I wanted to get some input from you all as to the best way to get it packaged.

Do you package it in a box or wrap it up in tarp, etc and bundle it up? I will be shipping it via commercial cargo plane.

Regards,

yhc

Default Shipping your inflatable boagt

Quote Originally Posted by yhc View Post
    Good evening.

I am planning a float hunt in a few weeks. As I am getting ready to ship my gear ahead of time, to include the cataraft, I wanted to get some input from you all as to the best way to get it packaged.

Do you package it in a box or wrap it up in tarp, etc and bundle it up? I will be shipping it via commercial cargo plane.

Regards,

yhc
    I usually wrap my boats in a tarp, but make sure you get one large enough to give you two or three wraps of material around the boat. Also it is best if you build your own pallet loads at the freight company's warehouse. Most of them will let you do this. Select pallets with no broken boards, no protruding nails, etc, and place a couple of sheets of heavy cardboard down on them before you stack the boat on top. Make sure all edges of the boat are tucked well inside the edges of the pallet.

The best way to ship them is in a fish tote. Some years ago I purchased a couple of new fish totes from a vendor in Seattle for about 300 bucks apiece. Best money I ever spent for packing material; I haul the boats out in totes, and backhaul the meat in them, with the boats stacked on top. Works great!

Hope it helps!

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Yeah, agree...hard shelled shipping cases are the way to go. i use something very similar to this:

it's big and heavy (55lbs) but shipping costs for me are split 3-4 ways usually and most importantly my raft is protected as much as possible from those tools at Alaska Air! Plus has room for pumps,blades, pin kit,ect too. It has handles on the sides so a couple people can move/drag it around easily.

you can also look at plastic open lid 55 gallon drums on ebay too. light and cheap.

for take apart frames and oars,I ship the stuff up in a double ski bag or two. depends on your frame if this will work for you.

http://www.amazon.com/Mountainsmith-.../dp/B000MWFW68

Default Good stuff!

Indy,

The ski bag is a good tip. Keeps the parts and pieces together so nothing gets lost.

For loose stuff like oar stands, life jackets and such, I use the nylon grain sacks you can find in Anchorage at Alaska Mill and Feed.

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Smile Thank you

Thank you, Mike and Indy for your replies.

Have a wonderful weekend.

Regards,

yhc