Thread: Rockfish in whittier?

Default Rockfish in whittier?

Do you troll for rockfish the same way you do for silvers/with same setup? We dont have rod holders, or downriggers... one last thing are they abundant in passage cannal

Find points of land at the corners of the bays and fish near bottom...I use herring and jigs with good success...the steeper/deeper the drop the better. Don`t forget to run a heavy leader or wire and line 15# test or better as you never know what you`ll hook.

So how deep would you expect these spots to be? Are there any fish in front of the rookery or in shotgun cove, and can you use halibut gear?

The outer edges of shotgun are good...you`re basically looking for 40+' of water and fish as deep as you are comfortable going. You can use halibut gear but I would personally run smaller gear that could handle a halibut if you tie into one.

Whats the best rockfish for eating? Yelloweye correct?......... Thanks for the info man... if you know of any other coves or tactics for rockfish/halibut or silvers please send me a pm... oh and when do silvers start coming into passage cannal and the general within 5 miles of harbor area

I fish in about 15 feet of water with a bucktail jig, that way you can catch and release
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.