Thread: Trolling Reel Recommendations

Default Trolling Reel Recommendations

I am considering the Penn international 975LD. I have also looked at Shimanos but am unsure which model is best suited for trolling for Kings/silvers.

I'd really like some advice on these or other reels that anyone prefers.

I love the Shimano Calcutta 400 series. I use them for everything. You also couldn't go wrong with a penn international if you want to spend some extra $$$.

Don't overlook the Shimano Tekota series. 500 and 600 LC models are the most popular for many of the lodges.
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone."
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

Default Trolling Reels

Thanks for the recommendations. I have always liked Shimano spinning reels so I'll take a look at these. Any advantage to the Tekota 600 over the 500?

I'd also like to hear what you think about rods to match up with them. I am thinking of 8' medium action (probably Cabellas). Would this combined with one of the reels we've mentioned be okay for Kings and Silvers?

Thanks

The main advantage of the 600 over the 500 is line capacity. They are identical reels except the 600 has a wider spool. As line goes out, the extra width keeps you in the largest diameter of the spool a little longer, which helps to maintain a slightly faster, more effiecient retrieve.

The LC refers to line counter, a very nice feature if you are fishing multiple rods, especially with newbies. Tell them exactly how much line to let out, and it's perfect everytime. Sure helps to minimize tangles.

My recommendation for a premium salmon trolling rod to match the Tekota would be a Loomis SAR 1265 at 10.5 ft. Second choice would be the shorter SAR 1084 at 9 ft. Third choice HSR 983, one piecer at 8'2". Lamiglas makes a nice one called the Dave Vedder Herring Rod.... I believe it's the 1348 rated 15-30 at 9 ft.

Bargain rods that will do a nice job are the Berkley IM-7 Air, Buzz Ramsey Series. 8'6" rated 15-50... you can go the next line rating down 10-25 but it's marginal for big kings.

Hope that helps.
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone."
    The KeenEye MD

Default Rods

I'm really surprised that at the length of rod recommended. I didn't know that a nine footer would be used for trolling. Glad I asked.

Thanks for the information.

shimano tekota 600 lc, thumbs way up!

Quote Originally Posted by Silverpig
    I'm really surprised that at the length of rod recommended. I didn't know that a nine footer would be used for trolling. Glad I asked.

Thanks for the information.
    The reason for the longer rods is two-fold. First is to give you a wider spread between lines if your boat is fishing 3 or more rods. (BTW I'm assuming you are NOT using downriggers.)

The second has to do with "load" or how much bend is imparted to the rod before line starts to strip off the reel.

The rods I mentioned have soft sensitive tips that will move a long ways without the salmon encountering much if any resistance. This allows the fish to really chew on your goods and commit to the bait before he realizes the jig is up.

For example, with the 10.5 ft SAR 1265 fished in the side-rigger position, the rod tip will move nearly seven feet before it bottoms out into the heavy butt section and line starts to peel off the reel.

When you get a bite while trolling, have the discipline to WAIT WAIT WAIT (did I say WAIT?) yeah WAIT til the rod folds and line strips from the reel before jumping for the rod. I tell folks on my boat that when they think they're getting a bite, they can tell me, "I think I'm getting a bite." Then we have time to talk about Monday night football, what you had for breakfast, and grandma's gall bladder surgery. When the line strips, that fish is yours!

The extra length also helps in manevering a hot fish in close qurters that dashes under the boat. Nice to have when your trying to get around the motor as well.
    The KeenEye MD

Default trolling reels

Not to confuse the issue , but two other reels to consider would be the Penn 320LD and Shimano charter special . Both affordable and proven workhorses