Thread: Combat Fishing

Default Combat Fishing

I want to travel to AK next year 2008. In Colorado here I'd rather catch 16" trout in a lonely canyon by myself than fish for 24" fish along a popular, busy stretch. Any suggestions as to when to travel up there to catch fish and avoid the Combat?

You'll likely have to pay for someone to fly you out someplace which can get spendy. You can check out Rusts Flying Service out of Anchorage or Talon Air out of Soldotna for remote fishing experiences. I used to go in a small raft down the Kenai to get away from crowds but anymore there are too many people with catarafts, both large and small. It is better than fishing in the combat zone of the Russian but still lots of rafts on the river any more. I stopped fishing the upper Kenai because of it. It is still great fishing though. I grew up in Colorado and have been up here since the late 70's. Once you fish up here, fishing in CO will never be the same.

Stay away from the road system. I hear Northwestern Alaska is nice too. Kotz area.

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
    MMSI# 338131469
    Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/

Thumbs down If you're looking for fishing. . .

Given that caveat, deadframer, I'd tell you to leave your fishing tackle at home unless you're able to afford a fly-out to some remote location. Come and enjoy the scenery, hiking, kayaking, bird watching, camping and more, but leave the rods at home.

I have a good friend who lives in Creede. E-mail me, and I'll put you in contact with him. He may be able to steer you to the kind of fishing you're looking for right there in Colorado.

Alaska is famous, not for its fishing, but for its "catching." Fish up here are so plentiful that there's little sport to it at all in the sense you describe. The most memorable fish I ever caught in my 67 years was an 18" brown I took one evening on Michigan's Big Manistee River. I was fishing alone, using a small sulphur dun pattern when much larger brown drakes began returning to the river as spinners. When my fish rose right in front of me, I nervously tied on a brown drake of my own tying, and the second drift over his lie got the strike.

That's fishing, and there's dad-gum little of it up here. On the other hand, if all you're looking for is "catching," then we got plenty of that. . .

There are lots of places you can go off the road system and catch small trout without seeing people. Just go to the parks streams and bush wack up stream for a bit. It is pretty easyto find places where there are 16 inch trout you just may have to do some walking in less then nice conditions.

True enough that if you're fishing for salmon off of the mainland road system, you will not enjoy the experience. That said, there are some options in between a very expensive exclusive fly out lodge and the elbows to you know what experience of combat fishing on the road system.

Look at Kodiak and the islands in South East AK. You'll have alot less folks, not have to spend much more than a mainland trip, and get some good fishing in.

Jeeees, theres millions of miles of rivers in alaska and 95% if those miles of rivers you can fish and never see a person or a building. What state are you people living in Just off the road system alone you can walk in THOUSANDS of places to fish and see NO ONE.

PM me for some out-of-the-way locations.
    People are really helpfull here and I`m sure you`ll get a wide variety of places to seek.

Come the last week of July or the first two weeks of August. Drive a rental car or motorhome to Byers Lake Campground. Rent a canoe and go a ways down Byers Creek, but not too far, as there are multiple overhanging trees, that are troublesome. When you tire of that, walk out to the Parks Hwy and go to the Byers Creek bridge, south of the campground. From there, walk and wade downstream, for as far as need to, fishing along the way and catching all the really nice rainbows you can handle. You used to be able to drive down, but now the road is blocked and locked. But you can still walk and wade the river. You can also catch all five species of salmon in Byers Creek, kinda unique in that manner. Then when you tire of trout, go to the Denali Hwy and catch all the Grayling you desire (less than 18 inches for the most part). Fish at all the streams that cross the road. Can't miss them, and they are pretty easy to catch. Or pay the big bucks as others have mentioned and take a fly in fishing trip, that is pretty cool as well and perhaps a memorable experience to boot. Willow and Talkeetna Air Taxi services offer the closest and best rainbow fishing near Anchorage. Out west, around Dillingham and Illiamna, it is a little, no a lot, better, but way more expensive and not much else to do, other than fish.

Default Fishing

I went to college in Gunnison and I think I know what you are looking for, email me at akgiauque@yahoo.com I will give you some info on rainbow fishing.

Greg

Wow! Thanks for all of the input everyone.