Thread: Boat fire in the sound

Default Boat fire in the sound

Wondering if anyone heard any details about the boat fire by Esther rock yesterday. We responded on the way back in and fortunately the 4 people on board who'd abandoned ship were picked up and as far as I know no one was hurt. The boat was smoking heavily and I imagine is a total loss. Don't know if it burned and sank, but I wouldn't be suprised.

Be safe out there, and watch out for your fellow boaters.

It was John Cowdery's (Ak state senator) 50 footer and apparently sunk after they got off.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthRick View Post
    It was John Cowdery's (Ak state senator) 50 footer and apparently sunk after they got off.

That sucks! Is this the one I have seen in Main Bay a few times?

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
    MMSI# 338131469
    Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/

Default Raise the proof

Great! the way things are going these days, the FBI will have Passage Canal blocked due to recovery efforts with raising Cowdery's boat to take pictures to tie him to VECO......

Wink Hey PotPuller

Quote Originally Posted by potpuller View Post
    Great! the way things are going these days, the FBI will have Passage Canal blocked due to recovery efforts with raising Cowdery's boat to take pictures to tie him to VECO......
    He didn't buy any pots from you did he?? Are they going to find your pots on the boat when the raise it? I can just see you being hauled away by the FBI because you are the VECO of pots! LOL

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
    MMSI# 338131469
    Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/

Not really a joking matter, could have easily turned out real bad. My buddy snapped some photos when we were seeing if we could be of any help. That's not fog or a cloud behind the boat, and you could see the plume for miles.

Default scary

That's a scary deal right there. My skiff is such that I am not required to carry fire extingushers, but I have two on hand.

Default Johnitta ex Lady Lanell

I looked at this boat back in 1988 when it was the Lady Lanell and been for sale for a while in Whittier. I bought a different boat (for various reasons) and John bought the Lady and changed the name to Johnitta after he and his wife. She was tied up on C float across from my boat for many years so I know her well. The Johnitta is a 43' Tolleycraft with twin 3208NA's. I really wanted those Cats but liked the covered back deck of the 38 Bayliner I got instead. A really nice boat to see go to the bottom. Good to hear all onboard got off safely.

There was another fire a couple of weeks ago with people reported in the water. I was listening to the Coast Guard from Seward broadcasting requests for assistance for a boat near Jackpot. Anybody hear what happened to them?

Fire is a very bad thing on a boat so everybody be careful and like the previous post, watch out for your fellow boaters.

Default Fish Witch

I responded to the boat on fire a couple of weeks ago in Jackpot, I was still a few miles out when they advised the CG fire was out and all was ok.
    I was going WOT for about 15-20 min. before we heard back that fire was out. Needless to say I was very happy they didn't need my assistance.
    It's All Good
    Dave

If the boat sinks are the owners (inusrance company) required to float it and salvage it? Or does the law allow the boat to just rest and rot?
    Tennessee

Hole in the side makes it look like a galley fire. I don`t even have room to cook with a camp stove.

Default Another

Another sank leaving the harbor in Valdez two weeks ago. Hole in the fuel tank, did not turn the blower on after pulling away from a USCG inspection.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Default Senator's boat burn,sinks Anchorage Daily News

Sen. John Cowdery's boat caught fire and sank Wednesday night near Whittier, according to two fishermen who took him to safety.
    Tory Freeman said he and a friend were finishing a day of fishing when they heard a report over the radio of a boat in trouble. They saw Cowdery's 40-plus-foot boat nearby, carrying the Anchorage Republican and three adult passengers, billowing smoke.
    "The cabin was totally filled with like this really thick, white smoke; it was like an electrical fire," Freeman said.
    "John Cowdery ... stuck his head out of the cabin, and we yanked him out of there."
    The fire began on a boat called the Johnita about 6:40 p.m. on the southwest side of Esther Island, said Chief Petty Officer Barry Lane of the U.S. Coast Guard.
    It wasn't the first time one of Cowdery's boats has sunk.
    On his personal Web site, Cowdery writes that he bought a 50-foot-plus pleasure boat around 2000 and named it Johnita II. One of Cowdery's staff members got married on that vessel, he wrote.
    Whittier harbormaster Mike Davidson said the Johnita II sank in the winter of 2000 or 2001 at the Whittier dock, but was recovered and repaired.
    Cowdery could not be reached for comment Thursday. A woman who answered the phone at his home hung up when a reporter identified himself.
    Freeman and a longtime friend, Jeff Ohman, spent Wednesday bottomfishing near Whittier. Ohman said they were headed home when they passed Cowdery's boat and saw smoke, but thought it was just heavy exhaust.
    Then no more than two or three minutes later a mayday call came over the radio, and they turned Ohman's new 22-foot Hewescraft -- the Live and Learn -- to help.
    "The boat was engulfed in smoke like you see in a house fire," Ohman said.
    Cowdery told the fishermen that he'd just filled the boat with fuel, Freeman said. After the senator and his passengers boarded the good Samaritan boat, they left for Whittier and watched as the Johnita erupted in flames, Freeman said.
    Another boat in the area soon reported that the boat had sunk. The fishermen said no one appeared to be hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by AKBassking View Post
    He didn't buy any pots from you did he?? Are they going to find your pots on the boat when the raise it? I can just see you being hauled away by the FBI because you are the VECO of pots! LOL
    I'm potbuilder not potpuller

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Default And

Quote Originally Posted by potbuilder View Post
    I'm potbuilder not potpuller

the best this is!!