Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help with rifle cal. for wife

Default Help with rifle cal. for wife

All, I am looking for a new rifle for the wife. She currently has a 243, which she has no problems shooting, but she needs a bigger caliber. What can you suggest? She will mostly be using it for Black Bear hunting. I shoot a 300 win mag, that has way too much recoil for her...even with the muzzle break.

Would a 270 fit the bill, or is there a 30 cal rifle that she can shoot that will be comfortable, without too much recoil?

Thanks for the help,

AkBillyBow

AkBillyBow,

My wife is a little woman, and i also got her a 243, but she has also shot deer with my 270 and 338-06. a 30-06 is not a bad round for her, and will take down a black bear. if it is a little too much for her you could always add a decelerater pad and a break for her. i agree a 300 mag is to much for a lady, but and 30-06 shoulden't be at all. you can always down load the ammo and find a lighter load that she can handle and also handle a blacky. the 30-06 has a wide variaty of loads for it and you should have no problem findig the right one. take care and i am glad to see that you take your wife hunting with you as well. my wife enjoys the trips that we take together.

Whit

There are many to choose from, the 25-06,.260,.270,7mm-08,and .308.All are chambered in most popular rifles and are easy to find ammo for if you dont reload,and all are fairly light on the recoil.Out of the ones I listed I would say the 270 kicks the hardest (and it's not that hard at all).All are capable of tackling a Black Bear with ease as long as a good bullet is used (Partition,TSX,A-Frame,etc.)

Hope this helps-Tim

257WBY mag with factory TSX load has 06 energy and shoots flat, my wife can and does shoot my fine.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

A .243 with good bullets will kill any black bear, shot placement is what matters. But if you are both feel the need for more power, but not more recoil, I'd say a 7-08 is a good choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul H View Post
    A .243 with good bullets will kill any black bear, shot placement is what matters. But if you are both feel the need for more power, but not more recoil, I'd say a 7-08 is a good choice.

Yes, good call Paul H, and with a 140gr bullet moving at 2900fps it will put the black bear down.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

You can also check out managed recoil ammunition. They sell them in a variety of different calibers. Here is a website with some good info on muzzle velocity/energy. Looks like Remington makes it in a .270, 7mm Mag, .308, .30-06, and .300 Mag

Some very nice choices would be:

.30-30 Winchester or Marlin rifles

.44 mag

.45 long colt

.35 remington in a Marlin 336 (very mild recoil for a medium bore)

6.5x55mm

7x57mm

7.62x39 handloaded with heavy bullets in a Ruger stainless all weather M77(I got 1)

All of these have nice mild recoil with good sectional density bullet weights too.

jedi

My wife is small (5'0"), so I had this concern as well. We ended up getting her a 7mm-08, and she loves it. Very little recoil, and it is more than capable of taking black bears and caribou. Heck, I'll probably steal her gun to go deer and bear hunting when she's not along, as it is way lighter than my rifles.

My wife ended up getting a 7-08 in a youth model which has shorter stock and a lighter rifle overall and she loves it. I had her shoulder quite a few guns until she found one that fits her.

I went through the same thing with a recoil sensitive spouse and later 3 daughters, ,,, well actually one of the sons was recoil shy as well.

A good recoil pad was a must. All my gals seemed to like shooting well designed bolt guns compared to lever action rifles... they all seemd to think that the lever guns had more felt recoil even with less powerfull cartridges.

7x57mm Mauser (I have killed everything in Alaska except buffalo with it, but needs handloading or European ammo for full effect.)

257 Roberts, works good on Black Bear or Moose, based upon the 7mm Mauser brass.

308 win, good all around..easy to find ammo anywhere. Wide selection of bullet weights.

6.5 x55 Swedish Mauser, I have not used it yet, ammo not that common.

260 rem Should work ok but not really all that much more zappy than your 243. Simply a 264 caliber bullet in a necked-down 308 case. Has about the same velocity as the 6.5 Swede Mauser.

7mm-08, about the same power as a well loaded 7x57mm. A 284 caliber bullet in a 308 necked-down case. A good all around cartridge.

Jumping up to the 338 Federal or the 358 Win, (both based out of necked-up 308 brass) would probably be pushing the recoil factor due to their heavier bullets.
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

OK, I'll jump in. I had to get a rifle for my duaghter, she's 14 now. 7mm-08 works great and she tooka caribou at 215 yards with it. (prone on a rest). If you wanted to go a little heavier, the .308. Your message doesn't show where you are from but if you are near Anchorage, maybe we can arrange for her to shoot both and see what she likes. I think my daughter would be ok with it, as long as I let her shoot the rest of the box.

My wife has become a pretty experiencedhunter over the last 20 years. Started with a .243 for deer and hogs down South. Now loves her Win M70 .270 but is also quite fond of the same model rifle in a 7mm Mag. in AK, with 160 gr bullets. Keep the hearing protectors on and a good recoil pad and women will surprise you. THEY haven't read that recoil is supposed to bother them!

Also, our family has a couple of 7mm-08s. Not my favorite by any means but they are compact and will suffice.

Just acquired a Weaterby Vanguard in .300 WSM that , at least initially, wife likes a lot too. Much, much softer "push" than a .300 Win Mag!!!!!

My advice is to be sure SHE ultimately picks the rifle that SHE likes the feel of the best. You pick the caliber. And, BTW, SHE will probably decide that HER rifle needs one of those real nice scopes and real nice cases too that you always thought was way too expensive to even seriously look at. Buy it for her and you will not regret it down the road! Been there, done that! Love it too!

Thumbs up 308 Win

Good 250 yard gun with 180 grain bullets
    Alaska

Get her something just a bit larger than you think she can handle, but that she definately wont be able to handle, then you come in and save the day, claiming that one for yourself, and rush out and buy her something smaller for her! Works every time!
    Formerly known as one who clings to guns and religion

Default real slick

Quote Originally Posted by SoldotnaDave View Post
    Get her something just a bit larger than you think she can handle, but that she definately wont be able to handle, then you come in and save the day, claiming that one for yourself, and rush out and buy her something smaller for her! Works every time!
    real slick.....you got married life down to a science

jedi

Quote Originally Posted by SoldotnaDave View Post
    Now that is just to funny!! You know, it might work
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

hmmmm....good idea, but since I'm left handed and she is right handed, do you think she would notice the bolt on the other side?

7mm-08.

By far the best choice IMO.

All,

Thanks for all of your help. It sounds like the 7mm-08 is the most popular choice. I think I will look at it first...and see if the wife likes it. I wanted to surprise her with the rifle, but maybe I'd better get her input. I don't want to buy her something that she doesn't like, or is not comfortable with.

Another question, where do most of you like to purchase your guns? I haven't bought a rifle in a while. I bought my 300 at Boondocks in ER, and my last purchase (22-250) from Walmart....only because I was most concerned with the price, with the quality being a close second. I was happy with both of those purchases/transactions.

Thanks again for all the help. Any one else have any input?

Thanks....AkBillyBow

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast