Thread: Fishing for Black Bass in Seward

Default Fishing for Black Bass in Seward

Has anyone rented a boat at Miller's Landing to fish for Black Bass? A couple of buddies and I will be at Seward around the 23rd of this month and was wondering if this is possible. Any advice of where to go and how to do this would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Andy

Default They are there-if you can cross the bay

I have rented at Miller's many times. If the weather is calm, the cliffs across the bay have many types of rockfish - we have had reasonable success. We have also caught rockfish, flounder (some starry, some the terible tasting arrowtooth) two to 4 miles miles South on the Miller's side. We caught a 10 pound halibut there once as well.

The biggest issue is launching-if there is much surf, they wll not rent-since it is very easy to damage props -they also will not launch during certain tide cycles unless there is glass water-so call first.

I crossed the bay once and had a scary time returning when the winds and surf picked up-if the wind picks up, I would cross quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by snagbro1 View Post
    Has anyone rented a boat at Miller's Landing to fish for Black Bass? A couple of buddies and I will be at Seward around the 23rd of this month and was wondering if this is possible. Any advice of where to go and how to do this would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Andy
    Try the rocks in the channel between Fox & Hive Islands in about 40 feet of water.

Default Bait

Try a 6 oz. lead jig head and a 4-5" shrimp body. Powerbait if you can find them. If not a small piece of herring tipped on it will produce too. Lots of fun on a spinning rig in shallow water. Might get some Copper Rock fish and some Spiney Rockfish as well.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Default Thanks for the info.

Hey thanks for the info. guys. At least I know it is possible to do this. We haven't caught them yet, but we are on the right track now. Dave-in-the- Bush, thanks on the bait suggestions. That would have been one of the next questions.

When you go out fishing for them, do you just try to find some good structure and keep moving until you find them? Any ideas on depths?

Thanks again,
    Andy

Default Anytime

Anytime is good. They are the sunfish of Alaska. Look for rocky edges and points. Structure where they can hide. Last time out I got one about 20" and he had teeth marks on his side. So structure is important for them to hide.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Default Chenel narrows

When we were trolling through there, one spot as you get to the tip on the Pony Cove side, all rods would go down with black bass sometimes, at least one would every time though.
    Hike faster. I hear banjo music.

Default Caine's Head

I've spearfished for black rockfish just off Caine's Head in about 35 feet of water. They are there, but the bottom is strewn with huge boulders about the size of volkswagens. Kelp on top of the rocks, but big caverns under and between the boulders. The black rockfish are there.

I've also fished over by the cliffs too, as was mentioned. But last time I was there it seemed all the fish were smaller. I got the impression it was a nursery of sorts, but maybe it's just picked over.

Another spot you might try- there is a pinnacle out in the middle of the bay just before you get to Rugged Island. It's really hard to find, but it comes to within 40 feet or so from the surface. But sometimes a buoy will be anchored on it and you can tie off and jig there. I dove there too, and saw some larger kelp greenling and rockfish. Interesting place, but as I said, the challenge is finding it.

If you rent a boat out at Miller's, they used to prohibit trips past Rugged Island, which really limits you.

Hope it helps!

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay