Thread: Anybody hunt deer on Afognak?

Default Anybody hunt deer on Afognak?

I'm heading to Afognak to visit my girlfriend at the Kitoi Bay Hatchery and what come along with it, IE hunting and fishing. Right now my plan is to walk logging roads hope to spot something than put a stalk on it. Has anyone hunted that area? Would a call be worth anything aside from attracting bears (not what I want) this year in the season (I doubt it)? Any general blacktail tips?

Anyway will report on deer numbers when I get back, the word so far is theres quite a few around so I'm hopeful! I can taste those backstraps allready
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

I think you're on the right track. Get up on some of those higher elevations and look down over the logging roads and areas where the trees have been chopped. My cousin has called several black tails in by just blowing on a piece of grass. Good Luck.

I hunted Afognak twice back in the 90's - once on the East side of the island near Duck Mountain and once on the West side of the island near Paramonoff Bay. What an amazing place to hunt! Near the logging roads on the East side the deer were certainly skittish, but they were there nonetheless. If there are any mountains nearby, I suggest you take the time to head high. On the first hunt we weren't finding many bucks, so we took a chance and headed up the mountain. Up high we only saw 5 deer, but they were all bucks. The West side of the Island is what I really loved, especially still hunting through the mossy timber, but the island as a whole is just a great place.

I am officially jealous.

Smile

My last trip over there was in 98' as a pack mule for some friends elk hunting, and we ended up doing some deer hunting too. I hunted around Duck Mountain and up it too. What I found most successful around the logging road and clearcuts was to still hunt the strips of timber between clearcuts. I shot one nice buck just into the clearcut while I was in the timber, and I passed on another who looked like the slightly smaller 3x3 brother of the first using the same tactic.

I also saw deer coming down from Duck Mountain. Didn't see any going up, which makes some sense. They look for danger coming from below and not from above. Unfortunately, I had let my guard down as I was walking with my hunting partner at the end of the one day, and I didn't see a really nice buck until he already saw us and was exiting stage left!

I wouldn't recommend just walking the logging roads. Some friends of mine tried that last year, and didn't see any deer. They did have to legally (a cut and dry case by the bio) kill a sow that charged them to a distance of about 6ft before two members fired. Afognak has a good bear population, and I don't think a call is necessary. You just don't need it if you are willing to get off the trails some.

It's easy to cover A LOT of miles on foot if you use the logging roads, but keep that in mind when you down a deer. A long hike back with a heavy pack. That is unless your girlfriend has access to use a vehicle or atv by virtue of her working over there. That would be the cat's meow!

Good luck and have fun!!
    Mike

Default Afognak

Don't forget if you're hunting on native corp. land you'll need to pay the access fee to be legal. Kitoi Bay hatchery is surrounded by native corp land. I believe there is a small area close to the hatchery that is free access (joint venture land) and there is also other land in Kitoi Bay that is open access mostly up in the head of Izhuit Bay and the east side of the Izhuit Bay. If you'll have access to a skiff, you'll be ok if you don't want to pay the fee.

As mentioned earlier, bears are thick in that area. They're attracted by the salmon in the area streams. I have a buddy who hunted Ruth Bay for 10 years. Ruth Bay is the next bay past Kitoi Bay when you're coming in Izhuit Bay. He paid the fee and used the logging roads and they never had a problem getting deer using the logging roads to get around. They did have a couple serious bear problems tho including one coming into camp and raiding their meat pole and another beating my friend to a nice buck he'd shot.

I spent two winters in a wall tent in McDonald's Lagoon a long time ago and know the area pretty well. McDonald's Lagoon is just before Kitoi Bay as you come into Izhuit Bay. We'd hike over to the hatchery to get mail from the Thursday mail plane. If you'd like some specific info, send me a PM.

Here's a link to land ownership status on Afognak.

http://www.sf.adfg.state.ak.us/SARR/...ak/afogmap.cfm

I believe the joint venture land is open access, but I'd check it out to be sure. The blue and green areas on the map are public land.

thanks for the info, hopefully the guys at the hatchery will have a bead on the deer, I think they just spread em out because most of the guys there are non res and don't wanna pay the tag fees to go hunting. Should be a good time either way! Ahh the perks of having a girlfriend who likes fish.
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.