Thread: Whittier help please

Default Whittier help please

I tried convicing my family to go to deep creek or anchor point this weekend, they wouldnt listen (tired of driving so far), Therefor the place we are going is whittier. Before I start our boat is 16' /w canopy (for rain).... and my mom has a bad neck. Saying that we cant go out very far and cant go into big waves. I need information on how /where to fish for silvers and any spots to pick up a couple chicken halibut.... A picture of a silver setup would be extremely helpful, and I reallllllllllllllllllllllllllllly need some loactations for silvers/butts. Thanks alot

Quote Originally Posted by Fishwhacker View Post
    I reallllllllllllllllllllllllllllly need some loactations for silvers/butts.

OK... You call yourself Fishwhacker. What's the deal? Why does everyone think you should be able to point and click to get your fish? I hope you get some, but try fishing hard. Then you can look yourself in the mirror and say "I'm a fisherman"

Default pigot point

Last Sunday there were plenty of Silvers at Pigot Point. THey like everything, but especially mepps spinners. That being said, passage canal is usually the bumpiest part of the Sound, and Port Wells can get down right ugly at times. There will probably be plenty of silvers in Passage Canal this weekend.
    Not sure where I'm headed this weekend. Probably Seward.

I run the same size/type boat and if I were to go I`d concentrate on trolling the right side on your way out. Points in the bays should get you some rockfish but for halibut it is a total crapshoot...if you let lines soak for quite a while you may pick up a stray. Otherwise, look for concentrations of baitfish and work`em for silvers. I`ve only been out there twice when it was nice enough to leave Passage Canal...with your boat the water out there can be too much too quick IMO. If you see caps in the canal then it`s likely horrid outside. If you don`t find silvers in a couple hours I`d resort to rockfish cause tight lines are always better.

@ offshore.... i go plenty of new places, and im 14... i just want a heads up before i go anywhere i dont know any places in whittier and just wanted some info on how to catch fish and not get killed....

Alright, Good fishing to you. Sorry if I rub too hard. I'm just tired of the whining and people driving around and anchoring up within 100'. Yesterday I had someone ask me for waypoints. Nice halibut aren't like tuna. You don't just follow the giant school around...
    Fish hard and you will learn. That's the best advice you can get. The silvers are all over now and it is 3 silvers pp. east of Pigot.

I don't know if you've been out in the salt much in your boat but you might try looking at the water conditions or forecast before venturing out there, especially if someones got a bad neck or back. Here's a link where you can see what to expect http://pafc.arh.noaa.gov/marfcst.php...K51PAFC#PKZ120 Anything over 2' is probably more than you want out there and be cautious of the wakes some of the larger boats create.

try the eshter island area, there should be a lot getting ready to make runs up port wells.
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.