Thread: 300 WSM loads for Alaska

Default 300 WSM loads for Alaska

I picked up a 300 WSM after the gun show the other day and was considering what loads to shoot thru it. I picked up some 180 accubonds and 180 federal classics to try for now. I was also thinking about trying the 165gr TSX load from federal too. What has everyones experience been with the 300 wsm?

Default 168 gr XXX

In general I would try the 168 gr XXX. It has a sl'ly lower b.c. that the 165 gr and the ogive is different (ever wonder why Barnes makes both a 165 gr and a 168 gr bullet?) and is based on decades of military ballistic data. It is generally more accurate....sometimes much more accurate. I have been very impressed with this bullet....and apparently so has Barnes.....enough to continue to make it in addition to the traditional 165 gr. weight.

Quote Originally Posted by shphtr View Post
    In general I would try the 168 gr XXX. It has a sl'ly lower b.c. that the 165 gr and the ogive is different (ever wonder why Barnes makes both a 165 gr and a 168 gr bullet?) and is based on decades of military ballistic data. It is generally more accurate....sometimes much more accurate. I have been very impressed with this bullet....and apparently so has Barnes.....enough to continue to make it in addition to the traditional 165 gr. weight.
    Yes, the 168gr can be and is more often the accurate of the two. I really like the TSX. Have moved to it in all my rifles and I believe the 350gr TSX will even be accurate in my 416WBY when I test it in the next two weeks or so. Good hunting and I hope you really enjoy your new rifle.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Thumbs up Barnes 168 /165 TSX ?

Why does Barnes make a 165 and 168 TSX? The 165 was made for the short neck 300 WSM and 300 Win.............while the 168 TSX is best in the 308 Win and 30-06 They have this on their wedsite explaining why.

These bullets have different ogive geometries. The 165-grain TSX incorporates a shorter tangent ogive into the nose profile. It’s designed for cartridges with short magazines such as the 300 WSM and 300 Win Mag. The 168-grain TSX BT has a tangent ogive which lengthens the nose profile and has shown superb accuracy downrange. It offers the best of both worlds because it’s also a premium hunting bullet offering exceptional terminal performance. It is best suited for cartridges such as the 308 Winchester, .30-06 and 300 Weatherby.
    Alaska