Thread: Montana/Willow area fishing advice

Default Montana/Willow area fishing advice

Hoping to take my kids out fishing this weekend, maybe on Friday morning but for sure on Saturday. They are 4 and 6 so I need to be particular on where I take them. Both are learning to cast, but need some space. Also need a decent bank for them to stand on. Anyway, is there a good spot along Montana, Willow or one of the other valley creeks that might fit the bill. I've driven through this area, but never fished here. Any advice on a kid friendly fishing spot would be appreciated. We went to Resurrection creek last weekend, but after 11 AM it was so crowded the kids were having a hard time and we gave up. Still had a great time and caught a lot of pinks.

Thanks

If you go during the week the crowds aren't too bad. There's plenty of shoreline and quite a few fish in the water right now also. I don't know if you're staying at the campground or not, but either place you go, it's very easy access from both campgrounds. You might hook up to some silvers but mostly it's going to be chums and pinks. I'm sure they'll have a good time.

Fished at Montana Creek this morning for 5-1/2 hours. Caught a lot of pinks and saw a lot of chums. Snagged a nasty old king, but he got off. Saw one guy hauling a silver from the mouth, but that was it. I'd say they aren't here yet. Was a great day for fishing and not that crowded. A lot of people came and left quickly after seeing that no one was getting silvers.

I am pretty new here, and I know that chums and pinks are not great eating to you real Alaskans, but since I don't know any better what would I use to catch chums and pinks. Basically I have been out a few times, and have not had great luck and I would like to bring something back to put on the grill.

Thanks

Default Silvers, Chums and Pinks

Dude if your heading to MT Creek the Silvers are starting to show the problem is getting through the Pinks and Chums to get to them.

Many options for catching them including Spin or Fly fishing.

Vibrex, Pixi or large Mepps, Kodiak Lure etc. go with Size 5 Blade on the spinners tends to keep the small Pinks from being to annoying. Just about any color will work Hot Pink, Hot Orange, or Green seem to do well.

If you fly fishing go with sieze 2 hook or bigger ESL, Flash Fly, Poly-wog, Cone head woolly bugger all catch fish 7-8 Weight Rod 12 Lbs Tippet.

If you want to target Silvers only go with Roe fish Med / Heavy Rod 15 pound test line spinning reel. Size 5 hooks tied with a mouching rig i.e. some place to put roe in a loop above the hook most stores sell them with spin-n-glows which you will need need just the hook with a mouching loop. Store roe works however I perfer my own. Set weight accordingly to get a decent bounce and fish away.

Just some suggestions. There are many ways to tackle the problem no pun.

Fish Alaska Mag had a great arcticle last issue on prepping for Silver fishing.

Tight Lines and Best Wishes.

BMR.

Thanks a million for the advice.

Default Perfect Advice.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueMoose View Post
    Dude if your heading to MT Creek the Silvers are starting to show the problem is getting through the Pinks and Chums to get to them.

Many options for catching them including Spin or Fly fishing.

Vibrex, Pixi or large Mepps, Kodiak Lure etc. go with Size 5 Blade on the spinners tends to keep the small Pinks from being to annoying. Just about any color will work Hot Pink, Hot Orange, or Green seem to do well.

If you fly fishing go with sieze 2 hook or bigger ESL, Flash Fly, Poly-wog, Cone head woolly bugger all catch fish 7-8 Weight Rod 12 Lbs Tippet.

If you want to target Silvers only go with Roe fish Med / Heavy Rod 15 pound test line spinning reel. Size 5 hooks tied with a mouching rig i.e. some place to put roe in a loop above the hook most stores sell them with spin-n-glows which you will need need just the hook with a mouching loop. Store roe works however I perfer my own. Set weight accordingly to get a decent bounce and fish away.

Just some suggestions. There are many ways to tackle the problem no pun.

Fish Alaska Mag had a great arcticle last issue on prepping for Silver fishing.

Tight Lines and Best Wishes.

BMR.
    This is great advice!

TSS
    http://www.myfishingpictures.com/watermark.php?file=133776
    Jedi Salmon Powers Activated!
    www.alaskansalmonslayers.com

What in the world? KISS in alaska?

Talking

I'd love to see someone dressed up like that fishing on the river some day! We'd know who it was. :0
    "The Gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men's lives the hours spent in fishing" Assyrian Tablet 2000 B.C.

Cool Montana Creek Update

Rolled in at Montana Cr midnight Saturday to find only 3 cars...hmmmm? Said WTH and drove to Willow... Wow, what a circus! Overflowing day parking, and campground was just about full! As my wife is just learning to salmon fish, and has not experienced combat fishing yet, we headed back to Montana Creek. Caught some shuteye and walked out @ 6am.. pretty much had the ENTIRE area to ourselves. As my wife was putting our stuff down, I flung out a Pixe and WHAM....a silver on second cast..LOL! Stayed there for about 8 hours, in a steady rain ALL day no less, but had a lot of fun. Crowds only came later in the morning/afternoon. Caught several silvers and Chums, no pinks. Wife had on a huge fish that kept diving and never came to surface before it spit the hook. My guess, based on drag scream and pole bend, was an old King, or possibly a big old Chum! Past experience with BIG silvers is that they love to jump, so I'm ruling them out! Anyway, overrall it was slow, but anytime out fishing is better than sitting around watching TV. I figure Willow was hotter based on the crowd....or the proximity to Anchorage ;-) Just didnt want to deal with the crowds!! BTW...Signs were posted at both campgrounds "recent bear activity" ...walking that trail to the water (Montana Cr) in the dark can be interesting.

Default Montana creek fishing derby

Take your kids to Montana Creek on August 11th and 12th for the Humpy Fishing Derby, I have sponsered it and the kid with the biggest humpy gets a free Reproduction Mount of his/her Fish

Default Montana Creek report

My buddy fished this weekend. He did good with his son. Caught pinks and chums all day. Here is a couple. No silvers for them. TSS

Quote Originally Posted by harterstaxidermy View Post
    Take your kids to Montana Creek on August 11th and 12th for the Humpy Fishing Derby, I have sponsered it and the kid with the biggest humpy gets a free Reproduction Mount of his/her Fish
    Too cool! Very sweet, I just want to know if my friend takes me, can I count as a kid?

Just a joke. TSS