Thread: Moose in 14a

Default Moose in 14a

Two of my friends and I are coming from Wisconsin to bowhunt moose in GMU 14a the week of August 11th (first time to AK for all of us - we are really excited. Usually only hunt whitetails in WI). We will be staying about 20 miles East of Palmer. Any suggestions on where we can find moose in this unit this time of year? Looking at the maps, it is obviously very mountainous in the area. Our plan is to stalk hunt the lakes/low area by staying in the valleys of the mountains in the area. Any thoughts on that strategy? Should we be planning on going up to higher elevations to find animals?

We appreciate any suggestions.

Id stay down lower, and hunt the woods with the best visibility. There is alot of choked out spots, but some areas you can actually see for a little ways in the woods. Another hint is to look at the tall grasses through the woods, when you see large swaths through them, thats moose doing that. Rarely will you find any poop that is fresh. im not sure why that is, but i know i rarely come across any. Try to locate some bogs and hunt those early and late. Unlike whitetails rely on your ears to locate moose more than your eyes. Its so thick in the woods that I hear them before I see them.

I hunt that area quite a bit. I havent shot a moose there yet but they are there. I ran across a kill last year, in my little area that I hunt.

Basiclly hunt the areas that you can get too fairly easily. youll be in good spots by default doing that.

I wouldnt bother with calling either. Way too early for that.

Look at the King River area up as high as there is trees You don't need to call you walk right up to em practically.

Remember that you are talking about six total pack loads on a big moose and the loads will be over 100 pounds each so keep that in mind if you get too far in...

And you won't be alone.

As a non-resident, out of state'r, I hope you have a guide to help you out. Good luck on your endeavors!

Default Heavy loads

As driveacub stated, very large animals (up to 1200+ lbs) plan accordingly for packing them out.

We are not getting a guide - just going to wing it. We are all pretty experienced bowhunters, so we are going to use what we know and learn along the way. This being our first trip, I am looking forward to just getting out in the woods, the experience of AK and learning how to hunt a different species. Not real interested at this point about learning anything first hand about grizzlies though!

We've also heard that the area is pretty heavily hunted, but I can't imagine it could ever be worse than opening day of whitetail gun season in Wisconsin. That is a zoo. Respecting others in the woods is always the way to make sure everyone has an enjoyable hunt.

Thanks for the replies so far and we appreciate any additional thoughts.