Thread: Haul road waterfowl

Default Haul road waterfowl

Heading up the haul road first week of September for caribou. I know the weather has a great deal to do with the movement of waterfowl out of the area but has anyone ever waterfowled up there in conjunction with a bou hunt. I know I have to hike or boat the five miles in. Thought it might be a fun addition to the trip. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Mart

Default small water hole

Was up there a few years ago and was a pretty freak thing. Was hunting for caribou within the corridor and came across a small watering hole on the side of the road and actually had a mallard in it.Probably doesnt answer any of your questions but thought I would share that. Dont know about the rivers but Im sure someone has been down the rivers and has some input. Good luck.

I talked to a trooper up there and he said there are quite a few ducks up there. I was thinking about buying one of those tompson rifles that allow you to change the barrels and packing a rifle and a shotgun barrel in when I go out 5 miles for bou. Then If the bou weren't around I could hunt ducks or ptarmigan.

flu flu arrows and wire snares are out of the question? You could also turkey em with mini broadheads
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

i bow hunt ducks and geese when up there after 1 sept have not got many but fun to brake boredom at times . very good eating if you shoot right ones. partner got a goose 2 years ago..
    RETIRED U.S.A.F. CAPT.; LIFETIME MEMBER NRA; LIFETIME MEMBER ALASKA BOWHUNTER ASSOC.
    MASTER BOWHUNTER EDUCATION INSTRUCTOR; MEMBER UNITED BLOOD TRACKERS; POPE & YOUNG MEASURER

Default haul road waterfowl

I work up north and travel the haul road between pump stations daily and there are geese everywhere in and around the small ponds north of PS-3.