Thread: Vibrio>>>Real bad stuff

Default Vibrio>>>Real bad stuff

This one is important guys, this Vibriro bacteria is causing sportfishemen to loose fingers and even legs due to the serious infections it causes, follow the link for the entire article.

Vibrio parahaemolyticus, a species of Vibrio that usually infects oysters but also causes wound infections, had never been a problem for oystermen in Prince William Sound, Alaska and Puerto Mott, Chile. But in 2004 in Alaska and 2005 in Chile, Vibrio parahaemolyticus contaminated oyster farms and caused thousands of people to get sick with diarrhea and gastroenteritis.

Dr. Joseph McLaughlin, Acting Chief, Alaska Section of Epidemiology at that state’s Department of Health and Human Services and one of the investigators of the outbreak, found the affected oyster farm extended 621 miles north of British Columbia, the northernmost recorded source of Vibrio parahaemolyticus infections carried by oysters. He also found rising surface water temperatures where the oyster farm was located.

“The outbreak in Alaska is a good example of how global warming is bringing infectious diseases northward,” Dr. McLaughlin said. The Chesapeake Bay has also seen a rise in water temperatures, and the data collected by NRNS show an increase in Vibrio wound infections in Maryland and Virginia.

Default Seal finger

I wonder if this virus is the source of the imfamous "seal finger"?

Thumbs down Global Warming BS

Virus bad news.

Global warming what a CROCK! I am one of those Alaskans for global warming! I want Alaska to be a tropical paradise it once was 10,000 years ago!

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
    MMSI# 338131469
    Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by AKBassking View Post
    Virus bad news.

Global warming what a CROCK! I am one of those Alaskans for global warming! I want Alaska to be a tropical paradise it once was 10,000 years ago!
    Aw man, you just wanna fish for bass from your boat at Big Lake. . .

SH

Quote Originally Posted by Sierra Hotel View Post
    Aw man, you just wanna fish for bass from your boat at Big Lake. . .

SH

SH,

You have me rolling in my office chair!!!

My wife who is the bass fisherwoman of this dual would love it. But I think she is starting to change over to the Alaskan way of things. Winters aren't so bad now. Winter is for saving gas money and planning out the fishing/hunting season!

I always ask her about bass fishing: What is the reason for being up before the sun and on the lake as it rises? She used to have an answer.

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
    MMSI# 338131469
    Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/

Default vibrio from humbolt

Looks like he's getting bit by a vibrio fish in that picture. Is that a shad? those things are deadly vibrio carriers I heard. If that picture is in AK then global warming has struck.
    Hike faster. I hear banjo music.

Ok, I don't know from global warming, the point of the post was to alert you guys up there about a potential danger to you from this crap, if you followed the link and read the article (Discounting the warming BS) it might make you think about having some first aid stuff around, I carry a bottle of peroxcide as I'm always getting nailed by something and it seems to help.

The only thing warming means to me is I might be able to catch a few more albacore here every year.

PWS gillnetters regularly catch tuna nowadays, so the global warming point of veiw might just be valid...
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.