Thread: Sardines vs. Herring for Pike

Default Sardines vs. Herring for Pike

Hi guys (&gals), we're doing a pike trip out to Alexander tomorrow (our 3 trip there) and usually take some herring with us to fish from a bobber; I was wondering if sardines would work since we have some left over from king fishing? Any ideas on that? I don't want to take everything out there, as space is at a premium.
    Thanks,
    Jim

Default should be fine

I've done the same with left over king bait, and they work just fine. The only problem is that they get mushy faster than herring. I've actually used salmon belly in the winter as an experiment on tip ups and it worked pretty well too. Heck, knowing the cannibalistic nature of pike, a pike belly wouldn't be bad either, I've used it in a pinch.

No need to use an entire fish either, it saves on bait. I usually cut them in half(head to dorsal, dorsal to tail) and hang half...they don't know the difference.

Default Brine your bait

A cure for mushy bait, is to brine your bait in plain salt. The salt will cure and make the bait firm.

Steve

I have always had more luck with spoons then bait

Default yes, but

Quote Originally Posted by big_dog60 View Post
    I have always had more luck with spoons then bait

True, normally bait is unneeded for great action, but when a big one follows a few times then develops lockjaw...there's nothin like a stinky piece of fish to get them interested again....I don't carry it much in open water myself, but it can make the difference....

ps, pinch the barbs and ideally single hooks if hoping to release, trebles plus bait equals dead pike.

Default Used to use bait exclusively....

..out there at Alexander Lake but now we just take white spinner baits (weedless) and a few rubber frogs, mice or those power shads (the rubber scent impregnated fish looking jigs). Lots of times the bait would be taken deep down the gullet, especially when we'd let them take it for a while. Since we only would take a few smaller fish for the fryer, we switched over to the lures. I'll tell ya this....it's a whole different ball game having the green toothy lizards lash out on top water (or near top water) rigs. Even when they miss it or follow it right up to the boat. Now THAT'S a good time on the lake.
    Also, try to get into some of the feeder creek mouths at the North end. Nobody usually goes there and there's some monster pike hanging out there. Just leave a few big females for seed.

I'm sure sardines will work fine in Alexander, unless you throw them on the bank.
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.