Thread: Size of Kenai Reds

Talking Size of Kenai Reds

Isn't it odd (in a good way) how big some of the reds are in this river? I guess the same applies towards kings too of course. But, man these fish are huge! Me and my fish buddy caght a few last weekend that had to top 10-12 lbs. Most of the reds I see fished elswhere are in thee 5-7 lb range. Am I wrong on this? Just curious what others think....
    We never really grow up, we only learn
    how to act in public

Default Red size

Second run reds on the Kenai are usually much larger in size then the first run fish bound for the Russian. I caught some hogs last weekend also. Also some fairly large females.

I'd say you're right, Doug. Kenai reds are always a bit larger, but some seem like absolute hogs this year. We caught quite a few over 10 pounds while dipnetting last week. Tough to fit those fillets into our regular size foodsaver bags, but that's a good problem to have.

I would agree also, but most of the ones I caught this year fishing were average size,but the ones I caught dip netting last week were all big boys.

Default Shipbum

How well does "BIG FISH" correlate with big run numbers? I remember Whittier about 4 years back had many 16+ # silvers and great numbers-next year 5# fish and slim pickins. Same with Silver years in Bird or Ship, the Buskin in Kodiak,Seward beach, etc So, with silvers, if I catch Big ones in mid-July, I usually plan on more sick days at work!

I suppose Kings would be different-given their different age at the run. Sockeye? Remember last year when all the talk of the copepod problems in Skilak made folks think that good runs in the Kenai may be a thing of the past? It seemed last year the fish were average size and then an average run occured (late, with relief to all)

Perhaps Nerka or other fish philosophers can add to this. I have seen few reports from Bird/Ship about silver size, so at least in my simpleton thinking it is hard to predict late or low numbers up here in Anchorage.

Default Copper Reds Also

I dip netted the copper in June and the fish and game person, as well as others (including myself) all commented on how large the reds were compared to normal. I did not have much to compare to myself, only 3 last year, but everyone else all said they were bigger than usual, especially the males.
    Hike faster. I hear banjo music.

I also noticed larger reds in Illiamna this year, and three of the five reds we caught on a Yetna tributary last week were absolute hogs.

Is there any indication that ocean conditions were more productive over the past 1-2 years? That could account for both increased size and survival rates, resulting in larger returns. Is there any data to support this?

Average red is 5.5 pounds, out in ugashik there were a few big ones but never anything over ten pounds, and we sampled 1500 fish.
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.