Thread: back pack info

Default back pack info

can anyone give us some advice on what kind of a meat pack to get? We are looking for a good pack for packing out moose. Thanks

Default Cabella's Alaskan Guide Model

I have the Cabella's Guide Model and I have found it to work very good. Light and fits well. Have carried heavy loads with it. The pack is easy to remove to carry meat so you don't get the pack bloody. The blackie in the picture was a load over a 100 lbs. The skull, hide and all the meat.

Steve

Default Barney's Pack

I whole-heartedly recommend the external frame packs made by Barney's Sport Chalet in Anchorage. These are the packs used by more guide services in Alaska than any other pack. Expect to pay more money for this pack than other models, but be aware that it will probably last your lifetime. The strap system is a dream, and can be adjusted to fit folks with just about any wingspan or fuselage length.

The Cabela's pack appears to be a Barney's knock-off, and I know of cases where the frame broke, straps broke, etc. They're just not as tough as the Barney's packs. I know other guys use them and like them, so in some ways this comes down to personal preference. I do know that if you buy a Barney's pack, you will not have to replace it. I have one that is fifteen years old or older, and it still works fine.

Whatever you do, get an external-frame pack with one main bag. Forget the ones that have a zippered floor in the bottom, that unzips to extend the length of the bag. Your game bags will hang up on the zipper flange, and you'll have a tough time getting meat in and out of them.

To keep blood out of any pack, line the inside with a plastic trash compactor bag. The bags are tough, and will hold up to the rugged abuse. I leave one in the bottom of my pack at all times for this purpose.

Hope it helps!

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

My Cabela's pack is about 13 years old and has not failed me yet. Its been through a lot. The compactor bag is excellent advice but since I use one, I've never snagged a game bag on the internal zipper, the compactor bag protects both.

Default back pack

I second the reccomendation on the Barneys pack. I have had two and my first one is now my sons. It went through 15 years of tough hunts. I bought a new one two years ago with the side rifle holder and extra wide shoulder starps. As you get older you need those luxuries! Chef

what does a Barney frame with the pinnacle pack weigh? The Cabelas packs very widely, the external frame with the fabric/nylon bottom shelf is pretty light at I think around 7 or 8 lbs frame with pack - their largest with the metal bottom shelf in over 12 lbs. I guess it must be noted however when looking at weight that I think all the Cabelas include a rain cover. I'm not the kind of guy that cuts the handle off my toothbrush to save weight, but when I have options that are a couple pounds different it gets my attention on backcountry hike in hunts. I currently have a Dana Design/K2 Longbed (not specifically designed as a packer or hunting pack) that was built by some little company in MT for a few years until DD/K2 bought them out and then discountinued the pack a couple years later. I like it, and its a quality pack - but I've been looking at a more "specialized" backcountry hunting pack. Been looking hard at the lighter Cabelas pack because its light - but also light the idea of going top of the line with the Barney with the Pinnacle bag. Realize support and durability also often can correlate with weight, but my thought process was that if I have to replace it every 5 years it still might not be so bad to save several pounds.

I use one of the Kifaru packs. They are internal frame packs made specifically for hunters. They are well made and fit like a glove. It is very comfortable when carrying heavy loads of meat. Jim

Default Barney's Weight

My Barney's Pinnacle pack and frame weighs about 8lb 4oz. That's without the un-needed top bar and freigher shelf.
    "Everything that lives and moves will be food for you. Just as I gave you the green plants, I now give you everything."

Does anyone have experience with both Cabela's Alaskan Guide monel and their Alaskan II?

Thanks blackfoot. That's pretty light for a huge pack. I'll probably bite the bullet.

jdb3, I tried them for backpacking but internal frame packs just don't work for me. It's just a personal thing as I know a lot of folks love them. I tend to get too darn hot, and often feel a bit stooped forward. It probably has more to do with that I started backpacking years ago with my dad's 60's vintage Kelty external frame (complete with sewn up bear claw marks across the bag), and they're just what I'm used to.

Default Barneys

I'll second or third (lost count) on the approval of the Barney's. I have only had it since 2001, but it has been BY FAR the best pack I have owned in my experience.
    I know some guys who have the Cabela's packs - they seem nice, but I wouldn't trade them.
    Good luck on your quest!
    Also, if nothing else, stop by Barney's a get them to fit you for one.

Default Thanks

Thanks for all the responses. It has given us a great place to start looking.

I have the Kifaru Longhunter (Guide) and just purchased the Barney's Pinnacle. Both are expensive. I haven't had a chance to use the Pinnacle yet but I like the fit and what I see. I believe I now have one of the best internals on the market and the best external.

Get the cargo chair and gun bearer if you go with the Kifaru. They are great assets. One other thing, if the Kifaru LH Guide is 7,200 cu. in then the Pinnacle is double that and not the 7,800 cu. in. as advertised. The Pinnacle is just plain big. I think I can fit in it for an emergency bivy. And the external pockets are a real big plus, which is something the Kifaru LH lacks. You can however purchase external pockets to add on the Kifaru LH.
    "The days a man spends fishing or spends hunting should not be deducted from the time he's on earth. " Theodore Roosevelt

Default Poll might be in order again

Some good info here. We did a poll on this a long time ago, but it would be worth resurrecting for this discussion. I'll post one.

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

I looked at a Bull Pac today. It seems to be a well made frame, but I wasn't real happy with the bag that went with it.

Default Cabelas Outfitter

I have the Cabelas Alaskan Outfitter pack, no major complaints on it. When I bought it several years ago, I read all the comments on the board, and figured I'd probably use it once or twice hunting then it'd hang in my garage, so best to save some money over the Barneys pack.
    This year will be my fourth year with it, on top of many weeks wearing it while training. It's still in pretty good shape, although every time I heft it over my shoulder with 70 lbs in it, it feels like the straps are going to give out.
    I wish I had spent the extra money on the Barneys pack, no telling how many more times I'll use it. I like good gear, not cheap gear. I'm not saying its not a good pack, I'm saying every time I put it on, I wish I'd have bought a different pack.

Default Outfitter

I also bought the Cabelas Outfitter first. After upgrading to the Barney's, I wish I would have gone that way in the first place. But hey, now I truely know and have used both. I think you can stuff a full Outfitter pack into a Barney's Pinnacle, and the Pinnacle is lighter!
    "Everything that lives and moves will be food for you. Just as I gave you the green plants, I now give you everything."

There are a lot of packs out there that carry OK, but there is only ONE if you are smart. I own a dozen or more of all kinds. Used them for guided hunts where we supplied packs when clients came without. I used good old camptrails freighters for years, as well as many others...but if you are going to carry it yourself, there is nothing but a Barney's pack. The frame is a freighter, but the harness is all Barney and its great. I can add an additional 20 or 30 pounds for the same effort.

As I said, I have a large selection of packs, sacks and frames, but I would only carry the Barney, in spite of the fact that they are really expensive. I cant say TOO expensive, because I still buy them for personal use....ouch. Save your back, just go get one, dont even think of wasting your hard earned cash on anything else.
    Last edited by supercub driver; 08-16-2007 at 00:12. Reason: corrected spelling

Default Ditto

Quote Originally Posted by blackfoot View Post
    I also bought the Cabelas Outfitter first. After upgrading to the Barney's, I wish I would have gone that way in the first place. But hey, now I truely know and have used both. I think you can stuff a full Outfitter pack into a Barney's Pinnacle, and the Pinnacle is lighter!
    This is the exact post I was going to write, but looks like it has already been written for me. I was very skeptical of how good a Barneys pack could be until I carried my first load into and out of the mountains. I feel it was worth every dime I paid for it and my hunting budget was not that large.