Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Whittier Silver Report;

Default Whittier Silver Report;

We found extreme Silver action today west of the Lake Bay entrance to the Esther Island fish hatchery. At any given time there were 10-15 fish in the air within 100 yards of the shore line. Mepps spinners and spoons, with or without bait were effective. It was some of the best fun we've had in a while. Take the kids; there's enough for everyone!

Default Limits?

Is that 6 per day 12 in possession?

It is 3 a day, 6 in possession unless you are inside the boundaries of passage canal and then it is doubled for each.

10-15 in the air ??? sure they were'nt humpies?? I've never seen that many silvers in the air jumping and this early in the season ??????

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Definitely silvers! Though a Humpback appeared near us at one point, the jumping wasn't related to this but was consistent for the 2 hours we spent there.

Default Whittier Silver Limits

You oughta' double check the daily/possession limits again. I think it's 6 & 12 of which only 3 can be cohos. West of the Line between Blackstone & Pigot Points it's only 3 daily, 3 in possession. I'd like to be wrong on this..... I spend a hellacious amount of money every year to catch 3 silvers/trip!

http://www.sf.adfg.state.ak.us/state...ons/scregs.cfm
    here is the link to ADF&G's Reg's. Page 62 about 2/3's of the way down on the right explains the silver possession of PWS vs Whittier/Passage Canal.
    Hope this helps.

edit:
    Sorry, you have to click on the map of PWS and it will take you to the correct page.

Quote Originally Posted by cghuntcms View Post
    You oughta' double check the daily/possession limits again. I think it's 6 & 12 of which only 3 can be cohos. West of the Line between Blackstone & Pigot Points it's only 3 daily, 3 in possession. I'd like to be wrong on this..... I spend a hellacious amount of money every year to catch 3 silvers/trip!
    It looks like west of that line it's 6/12 for cohos, no?

Also, I'm not familiar with whittier fishing, but am I correct in assuming that if I'm fishing from the bank in whittier I'm west of the line between Blackstone and Pigot Points?

Quote Originally Posted by chvynva916 View Post
    Also, I'm not familiar with whittier fishing, but am I correct in assuming that if I'm fishing from the bank in whittier I'm west of the line between Blackstone and Pigot Points?
    You are good to go fishing the bank in Whittier. 6 and 12 silvers are the correct limits.
    Pigot/Blackstone Points line is about 10 miles or so out of Whittier.

Quote Originally Posted by potbuilder View Post
    10-15 in the air ??? sure they were'nt humpies?? I've never seen that many silvers in the air jumping and this early in the season ??????

I'm suspicious too.... I've been out there when the acrobatics were going and they were 98% pinks. Nice and bright, but pinks none the less.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

".......all marine waters west of a line from Blackstone Point to Pigot Point (Passage Canal)."

Seems like most of the people who fish for silvers at "Pigot Point" are actually east of Pigot Point, mostly between Pigot Point and Pigot Bay. At that location, that would be a limit of 3/3 for silvers. Do you think that most of the people who fish at that location consider themselves west of the line and go with the 6/12 limits? Not that they should, but wondering if they do on purpose or simply don't know it should be 3/3.

Default 3and 3 is the limit out there.

the troopers have been out in force. I seen them go to every boat on sunday, inlcuding mine. good guys. fun to talk too.

yes they are silvers, monster ones at that

i posted a pic in D_mans halibut woes thread. 30"es long was the biggest.
    Last edited by akrstabout; 08-01-2007 at 19:23. Reason: spelling, once again

Thanks AKRSTABOUT! A guy tries to give a good fishing tip, and the salmon are questioned??? OH Well.....next time just you and I will collect our bounty and enjoy the day. By the way, we enjoyed a delicious "Pink" barbeque this evening!

Thanks for the report. We have been picking us some silvers in Dickerson bay too.

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
    MMSI# 338131469
    Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/

Talking maybe chums...

Were they chums?

Quote Originally Posted by AK-HUNT View Post
    Were they chums?

Flying cows?

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
    MMSI# 338131469
    Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/

Was out yesterday, and never got into them heavy, though they were jumping all over. We picked up one of the South end of Culross passage, and one off the North end of Knight Island. Also probably hooked a dozen pinks. We fished a few more points on the way out and back but just weren't hooking up. No trolling, just mooching. Didn't get a single hit on herring, but the buzzbombs did the trick.

Talking Were They Fish?

I suspect that they weren't fish at all. Probibly a some sort of silver furred aquatic mammal.......... Sorry, couldn't resist!
    We never really grow up, we only learn
    how to act in public

Default whiuttier silver report

AK-HUNT: No they weren't chums - they didn't even know each other.

Quote Originally Posted by RMoore View Post
    AK-HUNT: No they weren't chums - they didn't even know each other.
    Groan!

I'm headed down there on the 11th with a couple friends to check out Pigot point and other spots. I'll let you guys know how it goes.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast