Thread: Any Way To Monitor Skilak Conditions???

Default Any Way To Monitor Skilak Conditions???

I'm quite fond of both the Canyon and Middle River from Skilak down to Bing's. I've tried with no success to find a way to monitor Skilak Lake conditions before floating the Canyon or working the Middle. Does anybody know of any web sites or other sources of information for checking out conditions before embarking on a trip??? Input shall be greatly appreciated.

there is a DOT&PF weather station at Summit Lake, Sportsmans Landing and at the Sterling/Seward Highways including webcam. You can check winds and weather for each site. I look at the cloud types on the mountain peaks, lenticulars are bad, means wind. Also you can get the altimeter setting at Seward and Kenai from NWS. Any difference means wind.

While drifting above the canyon, pay attention to the winds and clouds (see if they are moving fast). If you have wind on the upper river, it will be bad down on Skilak. Pay attention to the guides, are they running the canyon? If not, then you should consider they may have a better read on it. Arriving late in the day at Skilak is a better chance of having high winds, mornings and late evenings (before dark) are times when it seems to set down.

With all of that, it is still a crap shoot. Always take a tent and be prepared to camp out if the winds are up. You can always walk out the trail, and go back and get the boat the next day too. Or if you are on the upper middle, float out to Bings Landing.

Be safe, lots of people have perished on Skilak

pafc.arh.noaa.gov pay attention to wind speed and direction use the public forecasts for this, the marine forecast for UCI might be useful as well. Also you might try calling the anchorage forecast office they can help you I'm sure.
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Thanks for the input, gents. I was looking for only sites that might help me find out what conditions were prevailing. I've floated the canyon a few times and fish the snot out of the Middle Kenai below Skilak. I appreciate all of your input, Flyboy, but pride forced me to make my disclaimer.

Danny Boy,

There are no weather observations on the lake, so consequently none are available for Skilak. Maybe in the future. It would be great if they put an Met-Station with webcam on Skilak at one of the boat launches.

That would be pretty special. I've been on the lake when it's kicked up fairly quickly. Thanks for your input, Flyboy.