Thread: Sheep Hunting Guides

Default Sheep Hunting Guides

Is this true? A out-of-state guide can guide a sheep hunter, when in fact, they themselves are not able to shoot a sheep. I suppose this would also be true for Brown bear and Goat. How can this happen?

Also are they paying taxes on their wages for the state they are a residence of?

Default Sad and true but...

This has been beat to death on here. Think hunting!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default yes that's true

an out of state guide must be guided when he's hunting for species which require a guide just like any other out of state hunter

as far as taxes go that depends on what the laws of their state are for income earned outside the state

I believe that it's true as well... but the laws are starting to change to where the resident requirement is starting to take place. This means that a simple P.O. Box will not suffice.
    One of the questions that was asked of my husband when he tested was his residential intentions.. if he plans to stay or move from Alaska.
    We plan to remain lifetime residents.
    (I think that I'll stay out of this one, though... I really don't have full information... only second hand)
    Lurker.

Default yep

Sad but true is right. And this has been beat to death in the past.
    How would you like to be a non-resident paying $10G or more for a guided hunt to find when you get here your guide lives in West Virginia and has been hunting here just long enough to get a guide license.Grrrr, I'd be less than happy.
    Take the money and run.

Wink

t.v. 321;

yes, it is true. strange, but true and i know a non-res guide doing just that, this year inside the park.

Works the same way in Colorado. I had a chance to guide for Elk this October with a first class outfit but I can't take the time off to do it. An Alaskan resident can guide for Elk and Mulies in Colorado. So Alaska is no different in that respect.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

Quote Originally Posted by Snyd View Post
    Works the same way in Colorado. I had a chance to guide for Elk this October with a first class outfit but I can't take the time off to do it. An Alaskan resident can guide for Elk and Mulies in Colorado. So Alaska is no different in that respect.
    But the big difference is that a non-resident does not need a guide to hunt Elk, Deer, ect. in Colorado. Unlike Alaska guide law that requires a guide for Grizzly, Sheep, & Goats.

I've personally guided a non-res guide on a sheep hunt. It was a weird deal. He was working for AAA outfitters and worked a deal with the outfitter I worked for..Anyway, yes this is true.
    My question is can two non-resident guides guide ea. other in the field for sheep, goat or brown bear? Seems like the answer is yes.
    the only answer to this situation would be to do away with non-resident guides..
    I just love saying that as I know it will tick off non-resident guides..Hee,hee!!
    For what it's worth, the guide I guided didn't need me to be successfull. He just needed me to be legal and we had a great time.

Quote Originally Posted by KYHunter View Post
    But the big difference is that a non-resident does not need a guide to hunt Elk, Deer, ect. in Colorado. Unlike Alaska guide law that requires a guide for Grizzly, Sheep, & Goats.
    That's not entirely true. There are certain wilderness units in Wyoming and Montana where a guide is required for non-residents hunting bighorn sheep. I'll gladly hire one if I ever draw!