Thread: Delta Bison 07

Default Delta Bison 07

I am drawing permittee for the I404 hunt for female Bison and will forgo the annual moose hunt for this hunt. Will be looking for a resonable shoulder mount specimen. If you have current information on the hunt about methods or folks that can help in the area it would be appreciated. I do have an airplane but hesitate to take it is it isn't necessary. Any thoughts. I have read the 06 threats and would like any one that has current information. Thanks for any help you might provide

Dan
    Last edited by Dan Perry; 07-31-2007 at 16:10. Reason: mispelling

Welcome to the forums, Dan, and congratulations on winning such a coveted permit! I haven't done the Delta hunt, but know many who have. As long as they put in their time and were willing to pay a reasonable trespass fee to hunt on private land, nobody I know had a hard time filling their tag. I believe the fee my sister paid last year was $200, but I have heard of landowners up there charging more. As for private land, it is my understanding that it is quite limited, but not non-existant.

From what I've read and people I've talked to, you also shouldn't need an airplane. Most of the hunting is done off the road or on farms and ranches. Talking to locals, F&G bios, and reading these forums before you go could be invaluable.

Best of luck to you.

-Brian

Dan when is does your hunt start ? I drew the same permit and my orientation is Oct.15. I have been getting letters in the mail from people up there , Most of them said that with the 900 cow moose tags they gave out the buff should be on all private lands since no one is going to let people shoot moose on thier land ,At ;east thats what I have been told by some of the locals
    PEOPLE SAY I HAVE A.D.D I DON'T UNDERSTA.....OH LOOK A MOOSE !!!

I drew this tag also. My orientation is on 05 Oct. I spoke w/ F&G in Delta and was told also that many of the land owners are not letting moose hunting on thier property, but they are allowing for buffalo. When I spoke w/ one of the land owners myself. They too said no moose hunting! They told me most of land owners attend the orientation and will give out maps of thier property and tell you when you can hunt and the fees. The one land owner I spoke w/ charges $350.00 if you shoot an animal on their property.

Default private land

When my wife had the tag about 6 years ago, we drove around and found several pieces of property that looked like good hunting. We made a few phone calls and got the okay. For those we could not reach by phone we just drove up the driveway in the area and asked. We had access to plenty of hunting ground without the fee and took a very nice bull. I would have been more than willinng to pay a fee, but the folks that were charging $$$ already had their quota of hunters on their land. When she shot her bull, we made sure the land owner had a healthy slab of meat.
    Everything that lives and moves will be food for you.
    Genesis 9:3

Quote Originally Posted by Carnivore View Post
    When my wife had the tag about 6 years ago, we drove around and found several pieces of property that looked like good hunting. We made a few phone calls and got the okay. For those we could not reach by phone we just drove up the driveway in the area and asked. We had access to plenty of hunting ground without the fee and took a very nice bull. I would have been more than willinng to pay a fee, but the folks that were charging $$$ already had their quota of hunters on their land. When she shot her bull, we made sure the land owner had a healthy slab of meat.
    I got my bull in 2005 and it just happened to be on farm that didn't charge. Things have changed alot since then. I go out there every year on an annual trip to Squarebanks, and have seen a number of fences go up in the past two years. There is a Native farm raising bison and they have expanded and enlosed their acerage along Barley way. If you are familiar with the whole area, you will find that a number of plots are fenced off and it is affecting the routes the bison use to go from one area to another. This will work to your advantage however as it's getting narrowed down from past years. When I got my map from fish and game, I colored in all the farms that were fenced off in one color, all the "open" or with permission to hunting fields in another, the "closed" to hunting in red, and left the unknown un-colored.
    This makes it much easier and you can save a lot of time. There are several farms raising pigs, elk, domestic bison, and yaks up there. Hollembeck has two plots fenced in for his bison, I would encourage you to stop by and look at his herd, it's at the south end of Diane Shultz's field 3, across the road.

Good luck

Kurt

When did you guys get your orientation dates? My wife drew this same permit and we haven't recieved any information on orientation yet. It's going to be a good season...

I phoned F&G and explained that I was in the Air Force and asked if they would tell me when my hunt date would start so I could schedule leave. They were nice enough to tell me once I told them my situation. They told me not to expect any information in the mail until about the 1-15th of Sept.

I called DJ Fish and Game (895-4485) as well and they gave me my date (24 Oct). As our annual Kodiak deer hunt is scheduled for Oct 27 - Nov 3. I guess I'll be getting out looking for my bison sometime mid to late Nov.
    Man am I excited!!!! And good luck to all.
    Jim

Thanks for the info guys, called F&G at Delta and the wifes orientation is also Oct.1. Good luck to you all, this is pretty exciting stuff especially since it only took 18 yrs. to draw this tag.

Default Delta Fish and Game phone number

Hey all,
    The phone number to delta junction fish and game is 895-4484
    good luck

Default 2006 Bison Hunt

The hunt is strange by Alaskan standards in that you spend a lot of time in a truck. You have to get familiar with the area by driving around Delta Junction. The map that fishing game sends you is actually pretty good. It shows who the land owners are and gives you most of the back roads. I took the map to kinkos and had it blown up and laminated. I recommend this. You will spend many hours looking at it. It is all about “Permission” you will need to contact the landowners in the area to see if they will let you hunt on their property (sounds weird I know) most of the land owners only let one hunter at a time, so it pays to get permission first. Diane Schultz is the focus, she usually knows where the animals are, and she owns lots of land. If you know when you will be there try and call her well in advance to see if she will let you hunt on her stuff, and pick her brain about the herd. Silver Fox in is where you will want to stay. It is at the center of all the places you will be hunting, and they are great people. Make reservations early because it fills up. I had a great time there, they are small individual cabins with lots of room. It is a great networking place as well, everyone there is doing what you are doing. We ran into some tight lipped hunters, but most were helpful on the latest intel of the day. Adams ribs is an awesome bbq joint that is about 5 miles away from the Silver Fox, make sure to grab dinner there at least once, it rivals any bbq I have ever had and I lived in the south for a while!

Default Bison Hunt

Hello to all you lucky winners. I drew my tag 2 yrs ago, and the hunt was great. Lot's of fun. Here is a few things I learned along the way. First of all When you get to the orientation, there will be a landowner there. Her name is Shultz. they have a farm in the hunting area. it will be on your map, as soon as the orientation is over get in your vehicle and drive immedietly to her farm and wait for her. She divides off her farm in several hunting zones. Once you are given a particular zone it is yours to hunt. and no one shares. Also you can make drives through the panoramic fields throughtout the day. the heard moves alot and they keep close to the tree lines, and that make it hard to get close to them. As far as accomedations you cannot beat the silver fox lodges, great cabins at great prices and it is located right across the highway from the panoramic fields. if you have any more questions and want to ask, drop me a email at scott.harrison@eielson.af.mil Good Luck

Congrats on the bison permit!! I keep wishing and telling myself dreams really do come true - sometimes. I would like to make it known to all bison hunters if allowed to hunt on Schultz Farms, permission is only for bison!! There are No exceptions!!!
    Walk Softly - Carry Big Stick, DS

grndthunder,

Welcome to the forum ,
    PEOPLE SAY I HAVE A.D.D I DON'T UNDERSTA.....OH LOOK A MOOSE !!!