Thread: S&W Sigma Pistols

Default S&W Sigma Pistols

Thinking about picking up one in .40 cal. They're very reasonably priced and feel pretty good in my hand. I've never fired one of these pistols but own several Smith revolvers and really like them. Does anyone out there own one? Opinions good or bad would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Thumbs up Sw 1911

If you are going to get a SW get the steel frame 1911 from SW in 45 ACP.
    Alaska

Default sigma

I bought one i 9mm on my 21 birthday. I had for a year or so before i sold it to buy a springfield 1911. I was a great shooter, never had any misfires or mechanical problems. I think i paid around 250 for it new. I think they are fine guns.

Jake

Default be careful

Be careful if you are looking at a Sigma. Make sure the magazine seats high enough to feed the rounds. I have owned two of these guns (both in .40) and neither would feed reliably. The magazines locked in tight but were just a little low and the edge of the hollow point would catch on the feed ramp.
    Aside from that I liked the gun.
    Never give a gun to a duck...

I like mine in .40 and have had no ramping/feed problems so far....the price is right and are excellent shooters for the money.

Default Thanks Fellas

The feedback is always appreciated. I'm still sitting on the fence on this one, I hear good things and bad. Like all guns, you cant beat actually shooting one to help form your opinion!

JRT

Talking Well.....

Life's to short to own an ugly gun.....get a 1911 and never look back!!!
    RIDE TALL, SHOOT STRAIGHT AND ALWAYS TELL THE TRUTH

It's inexpensive. You won't be able to find anything resembling a quality holster for it. You might find a generic Uncle Mike's nylon holster but that's about it. Don't plan on using the light/accessory rail as it is the HK-style rail. You'll have to pay an extra $60 or so for an adapter.

Default m&p

If you like the feel of the sigma try the S&W M&P. It's a little more expensive but a better made gun and still very comfortable. It also comes in .45acp.
    Never give a gun to a duck...

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by jrt34 View Post
    The feedback is always appreciated. I'm still sitting on the fence on this one, I hear good things and bad. Like all guns, you cant beat actually shooting one to help form your opinion!

JRT
    These guns are not the best design. Their market niche is for those who only buy American and wanted a Glock. (S.I.G.M.A. Smith Imitation, Glock Made Already.) The ergonomic grip is comfy but doesn't lead to good grippin practice Save you money until you have enough to buy a good gun. There are several good designs with what is called striker fired pistols, or modified DAO, grab and shoot pistols. This advantage is that there are no levers or buttons that you need to manipulate before you shoot, yet the striker fired/DAO guns are "safe" at rest. The Glock trigger is unique and of course the polymer frame gives very appealing weight, but the Sigma isn't a very well designed pistol, the Glock is. Glocks is ugly! But I could not destroy one no matter how hard I tried. With the help of a friend or two I fired 14,500 rounds (plus or minus a few) through a model 23, 40 caliber before it had it's first stoppage. There was very little cleaning of this one.

Kahr makes a very good polymer pistol with good lock work, and of course, good steel frames too and these have the very best of these striker fired triggers. Sig has a 239 in a DAO that is very good and can be had in 9 or 40.

I think it is a mistake to buy a gun based on the comfy grip and price. Functionality, durability and reliability are of utmost importance. I love the 1911 but they don't fit every hand and do require rather extensive training and practice to maintain proficiency. Many of the "grab and shoot pistols" are very good, but SIGMA ain't one of them.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Default Glock

I'm with Murphy on the Glocks. Not to say the others are bad but you can't go wrong with Glock. If your in AK, check out the Glock 20 in 10mm.

Default I am contemplating

selling my Sig Sauer .40 smith model 229. I am interested in buying a glock 20 in 10mm. Have heard good things about them. Grip is a little big but it shoots nice and cor bons through them seem to be a good match. Not sure how much to ask for Sig. But make me an offer or wait and see it if I post in the Swap and Sell forum.

Spend the extra 2-300 bucks and buy an Hk or stick with a glock.