Thread: Shrimping success and observations

Default Shrimping success and observations

I'm new to shrimping this year. Spent the winter researching puller, pots, line etc. Mostly on this and other forums. I still live in New Jersey but have been spending time here in Ak since the early 80's. I currently keep my boat at my daughters house (AK resident) but plan to retire here REAL SOON.
    Was very worried about my first drop. There is a big difference between crabing in NJ where you drop a crap trap 10' and sending shrimp pots 400'. You know what....Its a piece of Cake!!! For the heck of it I counted 96 shrimp on my first pull, I do not count now as I am more looking at how many baggies I use!
    I know a guy here in AK that has been shrimping for about 4 years. He as gone through every type of pot there is made. He is currently using what I call Mega Pots, quite huge and about $150.00 a pop.

I'm using pots from POTBUILDER on this forum.

Observation...I drop my pots a few 100 yards from his. My pots out fish his by a large margin. He will have small crabs in his pots, I have NONE.

I want to thank Steve POTBUILDER for his help. It was sure great meeting you at Whittier. It is really a small world indeed.

Henry

Shrimping is a piece of cake!
    Ladner is my pot of choice. I fill a 12 gallon cooler every pull. Another location you can average 4 gallons a pot. Long haul to get there. These are "whole" shrimp #'s.
    How many shrimp? Hell, I don't know. Too many to count! And I can't count that well anyhow. Location is the major determining factor. Bait has a lot to do with it also.
    Enjoy your shrimp! We sure love them in our home!

Henry,
    Thanks for the kind words & it was a pleasure to meet you & the family at the ramp the other day also, wish i had more time to look over your boat but you know how things go at the ramp, get your trailer backed in,load up and get out of the way for the next guy. We DO have to meet up in town for a pizza soon.
    Thanks again & talk to ya soon,
    Steve da potbuilder

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692