Thread: bow hunting the haul road

Default bow hunting the haul road

Probably asked a million times, but how necessary is it to carry a side arm bow hunting the haul road, especially if you get a mile or two off the road for caribou?
    Also, can you carry a 30-30 carbine for protection along the haul road while inside the 5 mile limit?

You can carry a side arm or rifle if you want, but I never have and haven't had problems with bears. Expect to get the full treatment from the fish cops when you get seen walking in a bowhunting zone with a rifle. Not sure I'd carry a rifle or pistol while hunting up there, it would just get in the way.

Default "Protection"

It is not illegal to carry a firearm in Alaska - even if you are in a weapons restricted hunting area.
    However, if you harvest an animal, and F&G stops by your kill site... well, be sure you were within the confines of the law.
    Personally, I carry a sidearm - although I have not had a negative run-in with four-legged critters on the haul road.
    Two-legged, that's different.

Enjoy!

i always carry pistol, .500 s&w last few years. have never needed it but a few problems one year with 2 bears up there. one bear was in camp 2-3 x day at mile 50 boat launch it was getting into everybodies stuff, some guys left someone in their party up all night to keep it out of there coolers and stuff and i heard eventually someone shot it. same year had bear chase my jet boat out into river and then got back on shore and came after us for 200+ yards. i expect there was a kill close by and it figured we got too close. one year a ploar bear was 140 miles inland ( road miles) it got the attention of a few bow hunters.

last year two kayakers were killed by bear to the east of the haul road.

odds are you will not need it but if you do it could get pretty hairy
    i personally would carry 12 ga. instead of 30-30 i'm sure f & game would have less concern about shotgun. plus if you need it shotgun would have better stopping power....
    caribou hunting up there is not as much of a problem with bears as in some areas as it is alot more open but it still can happen
    RETIRED U.S.A.F. CAPT.; LIFETIME MEMBER NRA; LIFETIME MEMBER ALASKA BOWHUNTER ASSOC.
    MASTER BOWHUNTER EDUCATION INSTRUCTOR; MEMBER UNITED BLOOD TRACKERS; POPE & YOUNG MEASURER

I'm carrying one, i always carry one when bow hunting the Haul Rd.corridor, I'll be hunting moose this year (DM 922) theres griz from the yukon river all the way to Atigun pass and beyond...i like to hike off the road about a mile or so in... so its peace of mind...K

Seen big griz right up on the road and heard of em' all over. I carry a sidearm simply because it's better then aluminum sticks if it comes to that.

Jon

Default griz pics

Look in last years hunting gallery... I posted a pic of 3 griz together that we got within 69yds of right off the road. That was just north of ice cut. We watched one stalking muskox there on the next trip up. You can bet I'll have mine on me!

kahahawai,

When are you going up? I drew the same tag and will be up there in late Sep.

AK_BigO

Default Protection

I have never carried a firearm up there, but the first year up there had a few dealings with those critters, once they got down wind of me they took off... little bit scary but I guess my time wasn't up... The way I shoot a pistol I would be better of with a bat... I guess A pistol could be used to finish yourself off if you did get chewed on...

Default true enough bigdog.....

....if a griz wants me bad enough, he's likely going to get me, pistol or no pistol. I think carrying a sidearm gives me a little more confidence to run off a bear. I ran off several bears this summer (blacks, so not quite the same). I think I would have been more nervous (scared) had I not been carrying.

Here's a couple pics of one I couldn't get run off this summer. I'm not into combat fishing so I gave him some space, I snapped pics til he swam to within about 25yds out then I beat feet back to camp!! Sorry the pics are a little blurry...I swear I wasn't shaky!!! Had to be the zoom or low light at 1030PM or something...
    Attached Images Attached Images