Thread: OB Jet intake question

Default OB Jet intake question

On my OB Jet, the,,Ill call them filter bars that are inside my shoe are bent bad from rocks. Can I straighten these out in the shoe? I hit rocks going into george lake and bent them pretty good. I was trying to bend them back in the shoe but didnt want to crack the aluminum. Would it be better to remove them? Im guessing that if I do that then the holes wont line up. WHich brings up another question. Do those bars have pins in the shoe that can be driven out with a drift punch? Its an 05 Yamaha 90 jet

There should be 4 holes on the side of the foot with a pin going through. You can punch out the pin and replace or reshape the intake screens fairly easily.

Last edited by northriver21; 07-31-2007 at 11:37. Reason: added Pic

Default Replace the bars

I would replace the bars if they are bent upward toward the impeller. You won't be able to take upward bend out and it will dramatically decrease performance.

Most of the time you can get them back in decent shape without removing them. Just use a pry tool to bring them back straight, they bend fairly easily.

On a side note, resist the urge to sharpen them!! If they are flattened on the bottom side, you can take a file to them to take the burr off, but don't go past squaring them up. If you sharpen them they will be much more prone to getting debris wedged in between.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....