Thread: Fishing pics of our day on the lower Kenai

Default Fishing pics of our day on the lower Kenai

The wife and I fulfilled a lifelong dream to travel and fish in Alaska. The week of July 15, 2007 we traversed the Kenai Peninsula intent on fishing and site seeing. One of our days was spent fishing on the famous lower Kenai with guide Jason Duncan. We found Jason to be an honest, competent, experienced, and hard working guide.

I must offer full disclosure: My wife of 25 years is also my best friend and fishing buddy, ergo she should know better. We began the day with our guide discovering my wife had packed bananas in our lunch. This act may have something to do with the following events if you’re superstitious. (Wink) Upon discovery of said taboo fruit they were quickly dispatched overboard. Long story short, she had a nice 20-30lb hen come unbuttoned at the net and one of the other clients netted and released a 20-30lb hen. My line never had so much as a bump.

We were told there were in excess of 450 boats on the water, most guided, which means four rods per boat. We launched at Swift Water Park in Soldotna and fished from there down to the sonar counting buoys. I got to know honey moon cove well. Our day started w/rods in the water @ 6:00 and out @ 4:15. During the day we witnessed no more than 8 fish being fought out throughout the myriad of boats.

I found the Kenai to be a surreal and beautiful river. Most stunning was the overwhelming amount of boats screaming up and down the river on their 35hp motors. Every inch of accessible bank space was crowded with fisherman doing the Kenai twitch. (More on that in another post)

All in all will I do it again? Probably not. Don’t get me wrong. I wouldn’t take for the opportunity we were blessed with to witness Kenai fishing first hand. However, there are other places almost as beautiful and with far better odds of catching salmon in much less crowded conditions. Not to mention, it doesn’t take a 24 hour trip to get to the destination and cost a small fortune for the privilege.

Enjoy the pictures – click twice on the image to get the largest version – I hope you enjoy the zoo as much as I did.http://spotted.tylerpaper.com/pages/...gallery=300048

Good report and very accurate. I don't know if I want to go back either (for the same reason I probably won't go back to Disneyland)!

Default Thanks!

Those pictures are great! Thank you for sharing them. I love the shots of all the other boats. And the traffic going up and down at the same time....pretty gnarly!!

thanx again!

I enjoyed clicking through them.

Very nice report and an added bonus of the pictures, thanks.

Looking at your pics, I was reminded, (again) of the movie Jaws where everyone was out after the shark. Remember how the boats were running into each other, people were arguing and screaming and, if a guy hooked into something, everyone else came motoring over?

Default Crowded

Yeah, the Kenai is world famous and that's why it is so busy. With a short flight out of anchorage you could have gotten away from the chaos and enjoyed some pristine fishing. I still love fishing the Kenai, because it quick and easy. I know that it'll be packed though and the traffic will be worse.

Default Great post--and very true.

I live/work in the Kenai area. Moved here because I love to hunt and fish. I enjoy every moment I can get fishing on the Kenai, but absolutely hate all the power boats. I float the river in my driftboat and do so whenever possible--i.e. driftboat mondays I can peel away from work and late evenings and early morning (off the river well before 4:00am when guides start putting in). There are some great days of fishing, but many, many slow days as well.

Hitting one of the slow days, sitting on a boat in the middle of a congested river shared with hundreds of other boats, all looking at each other wondering where the fish are--sounds like an ordinary slow day on the Kenai in July. When its hot, its a blast hooking into multiple fish per rod and watching all the other boats hooking up as well.

Will

Heck, I'm a local and feel the same way you do........

common kenai report.... but the reason the kenai is so famous is because it's the only place you can go and have a realistic chance of getting a 60+ pound fish. sure, there are plenty of slow days, but there are also days where everyone on the boat catches a king 40 pounds or better. if you were lucky enough to wrestle one of those monsters your report would surely be much different.
    www.akfishology.com

fishing isn't about life or death... it's more important than that.

I would like to know what brand and model camera took those pictures.

Default Great photos.

Hello, Hof,
    One of your photos of the moose was great. Just returned from the Kenai and a fellow we were fishing with said that a moose entered the river from the small beach down river from the airport, just opposite from the Riverside Hotel and crossed the river. Then crossed back to the airport side and crossed again to the hotel side and then back to the opposite side and disappeared in to the woods. Fishers watching could not figure it out. Your photo of the moose reminded me of that story. ALSO: I was in a boat fishing for kings with a guide and 3 other fellow. I admitted to having a banana that morning and was the only one to not net a king. I hooked up, but he got off when the guide tried to net him. I will swear off bananas in AK from now on. True story!.
    Stewart

Quote Originally Posted by stewjacobson View Post
    I will swear off bananas in AK from now on. True story!.
    Stewart
    I caught my biggest rainbow ever (over 10 pounds) with a banana in my belly and another in the boat. It was an accident that I had it, but nonetheless that day caused me to recant the superstition.

As somebody else mentioned, the congestion is simply the byproduct of an amazing fishery. I live here and hate that so many boats plug the Kenai and enjoy the drift-only Mondays more than anything. But, the best part of the season is upon us and for those of you who like trout, mountains and fly rods you should consider a fall trip up here when tranquility is attainable and rainbows grow to mythic proportions.