Thread: anchor for a canoe?

Default anchor for a canoe?

Yesterday a couple of guys asked me if I had a small anchor for a Canoe.
    I produced 3 large Halibut canonball weights and tied them togather with dacron 130 lb test. I have an old tuna stick that is broke at the first eye, so I mounted an old Penn reel on the stick and away they went.
    They were lake fishing and wanted to stay in one spot, and they said it worked great..
    What do you use for a Canoe or Kayak Anchor?

An old 3 pound coffee can filled with concrete with an eye bolt in the middle. Your halibut weights sounds like an excellent alternative.

Default Amchors

There are several small foldable anchors designed for canoes and small rafts. You will just have to do an internet search.

Default made one..

from a small coffee can. Melted about 2" of lead in the bottom (using my Coleman stove) and put an exhaust clamp in the molten lead (you have to jamb nut the moveable part of the clamp to keep it from floating) and let it cool around it. Once it is all cool, just cut the can off and you have a small, smooth, heavy enough anchor.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Default Coffee cans

the coffee can idea sounds great. I have a friend at the tire shop and maybe he can get me some tire weights.
    I will make up a couple and have something a little better next time.
    when I was up at Kenai lake the other day dropping off some rafters, a fellow in a 9 foot single man cat was just about to head down river. he had a tidy little pyramid anchor on his set up .. It was a minature of what a drift boat uses. he had the pully and everything..
    Why can't I be that organized and think ahead about looking like I know what I am doing?...
    thanks all for your ideas
    Max

Default a big piston

ask at your local machine shop or boatyard...they work great!
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Default Rocks

I use a net/mesh utility bag and fill it with rocks when I get to the shore. Saves me from carrying extra weight getting there ... dump it out when I leave or have to go overland. In a pinch (only once) when I could not find rocks large enough, I filled a small shopping bag with gravel and put it in the net.

Default Light anchor

Another good use for a bandana if you don't have a mesh bag with you on a back country trip.

Quote Originally Posted by Planner
    Another good use for a bandana if you don't have a mesh bag with you on a back country trip.
    A bandana is indeed an invaluable item in your outdoor gear. Someone needs to one day list the thousand and one things you can do with a Bandana.... My wife uses hers to cover my mouth when she gets tired of my opinions...LOL..
    One of the great things about people that spend time out in wilds with just a little gear with them, is that they become very inventive, and learn how to use the few items they have to fulfill the needs..

I use a gallon sized plastic milk carton. Fill it with gravel or sand when you need it and dump it out. Much easer to carry and fairly dureable. It also tend not to get stuck in rocks.
    Dan