Thread: Weather in PWS

Default Weather in PWS

When I look at the 10 day forcast for Anchorage, Whittier, or Valdez it always seems to show cloudy with a 60% chance of rain. Is the weather really always that bad? Since I am in Fairbanks, it takes some advance planning to set up a trip. I'd hate to tow the boat 8+ hours just to sit in the rain and overcast. I see all these wonderful pictures of sunny days and calm clear water. I take it that those are the exception and not the rule?

Default Take it

I take a report like that is a good day here. Two years ago it rained for 47 days before we saw the sun.

I see all these wonderful pictures of sunny days and calm clear water.
    Those are the days when we all run outside with our cameras to take pictures to entice tourists to come here and spend money.

On the bright side (no pun intended), when it is cloudy and might rain, the ocean is usually flatter. On the bright sunny days, high pressure, you are going to have west winds in the PM causing rough seas in Port Valdez.

Any day not spent working and you are fishing on the ocean is a good day.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

I wouldn't trust any forecast even 5 days out. Unfortunately the weather in this area is difficult to predict imo. If your looking at the water forecast it has been known to change by the day occasionally. This can make for planning a trip very difficult and thus why you have read about those less than desirable days some people have had on the sound. I have been out on PWS at least 6 weekends this year and the water has been great. A couple days it rained and one day it was super foggy. The water seems to be alot calmer out of Whittier than other ports but the rain doesn't always cooperate. All in all I would say we have had a good summer. Only blown off the water on 1 trip to Homer so far, knock on wood.

Any port in the mountains might be the wrong place to visit if you don't like rain or overcast skies. To me they kinda go hand in hand athough I also have a lot of pics of bluebird days. I usually plan ahead of time to go and when it comes right down too it, if the weather changes I go elsewhere or call off the trip. I know that doesn't sound like fun but there aren't too many options. Wish I could offer better advice to help you plan.

It always seems to rain or mist in PWS. But like it was said those are usually the calmer days. I run out of Whittier and the bad spots always seem to be Port Wells and the entrance to Nellie Juan.

I have seen calm days on clear sunny days but those are few. Just dress for the rain and enjoy your fishing!

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
    MMSI# 338131469
    Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/

I lived there last summer and saw 4 calm sunny days, lots of calm rainy days and a few nasty rainy days.
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

I've hunted and fished out of Whittier a number of times. Dave's right, 60% chance of rain would be a good day. During a week long bear trip if it only rains 4 of the 7 days we're good to go. I'm much more concerned about the state of the water and wind. Although there's lots of places to shelter, it can get really rough.

Thanks guys. The weather doesn't bother me as much as I think it will bother my cousins. I'll just half to see if I can talk them into it.

I expect overcast and drizzly out in the sound. I should have at least prepared for nice weather ie brining shorts, as I was baking this weekend, even got a sunburn. Now if you will only go out in such weather, your options are very limited and you might never get out for the whole summer.

I borderline trust 24 hour forecasts for the sound, 5-10 days out is a joke. The forecast for this weekend was overcast and sprinkling. Saturday was hot and sunny, same for Sunday morning though a breeze was picking up at noon. There was also a fog bank holding over the East side of the sound.

Another thing to remember is the weather changes depending on where you are in the sound. It might be socked in and drizzling in Whittier and beautiful in the sound.