Thread: A strange Tier II rescore consequence?

Question A strange Tier II rescore consequence?

I'm scratching my head over this one. I had recieved a Tier II permit in the first round of scoring, but lost it during the re-score. I did not recieve any drawing permits when I first checked, but when I looked at my name again tonight in order to check my actual Tier II score, it listed a DC590 caribou permit. Strange. I'm wondering if I had originally drawn the permit, but they didn't award it to me due to the previous rule that Tier II permit holders could not hunt caribou anywhere else in the state. Perhaps I have now been awarded my drawing permit because the judge threw out that part of the law?

Did anyone else have this experience? I welcome the news that I drew a caribou tag, but still...it caught me off guard.

If so, did it have a domino effect and bump another previously successful applicant out of the one they origninally had awarded the DC590 permit to? Or did they issue additional permits for those that this might have happened to. I am sure you are not the only one that this happened to. I would appreciate hearing the reasons and fallout on this set of circumstances, if you pursue it with F&G for answers.

Default Doesn't sound right

Doesn't sound right. But maybe. It would seem that if you were not eligible before, that they would have given it to someone else who was. Why would they now give one to you if the quota of the permits were handed out in the first place. Strange!

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

There is a slight possibility that I just missed it the first time around, but I checked my name two or three times online, and that's not the kind of thing I tend to miss.

Does anyone have the ADN print hunting permit list that they sent out with the newspaper two weeks ago? I didn't keep my copy. I'd be interested to see if my name was listed in there.

Brian,
    If you had received the DC590 the first go round, wouldn't that have meant that you received TWO permits, counting the Tier II one that you later lost out on????

Default Akres

Akres: I don't think he would have gotten two permits. Because if the limit is one in each area, then he would not be able to use one of them if he shot one in the other area. Make sense?

Maybe, just maybe..... it was a screw up.

Quote Originally Posted by Akres View Post
    Brian,
    If you had received the DC590 the first go round, wouldn't that have meant that you received TWO permits, counting the Tier II one that you later lost out on????
    They award the Tier II and Drawing permits seperately, therefore the limitation on only one permit per species doesn't apply. Last year my father had both the TC566 and DC001 permits (though he only hunted the Nelchina tag). I am quite darn certain that I only had the Tier II tag previously, but again I'd like to look in the print copy of permit winners to see if I just overlooked it.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    They award the Tier II and Drawing permits seperately, therefore the limitation on only one permit per species doesn't apply. Last year my father had both the TC566 and DC001 permits (though he only hunted the Nelchina tag). I am quite darn certain that I only had the Tier II tag previously, but again I'd like to look in the print copy of permit winners to see if I just overlooked it.
    The limitation does apply this year. If you are drawn for a Tier II Permit, you are not allowed to hunt the species anywhere else in the state. Don't know which one the state gives precedence to though i.e. drawing or tier ii. But I assume from reading the regs, you have only received one, initially. Baffles me though, they might have crossed things up, if in fact two different entities are doleing out the permits.

Quote Originally Posted by Akres View Post
    The limitation does apply this year. If you are drawn for a Tier II Permit, you are not allowed to hunt the species anywhere else in the state.
    Yep, that's what I'm saying - I only had the Tier II tag because I wasn't also allowed to have a drawing tag. I'm just surprised that they awarded me a drawing tag afterwards.

Talking Well then

Well then, I don't have either so just place one in the mail and I will keep you out of trouble for maybe overharvesting too many caribou by accident. Always trying to help!

Unhappy oop's

Oop's! Forget above post. Leaving for the Haul Road on Monday and then I would be overharvesting caribou..... oh darn........

Oh, I'd be happy to oblige Dave, but I don't have the Tier II permit any longer. With the new early start date for us teachers, I'll be really lucky if I manage to take one with my newfound drawing permit. I'll give it a shot, though. (Though I'd trade the chance for some PWS deer hunting. You, my friend, are the lucky one.)

Talking Yep

Yep, probably lucky as I don't have to report to the 15th of Aug. So Haul Road next Monday till the 10th, then sheep until I feel the need to make a 750 mile run back to work. Arent' inservices for sleeping anyways?

Smile Brian M

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post

Brian,

I dug out the supplement and looked at the DC590 winners. You were not listed as a winner. I suspect that you probably drew both but were only given one, most likely the 566 was selected first which negated the 590. With the re-score, they had to go back and fix those snafu's.
    There were 100 590's given out in the supplement so it will be interesting to see the stats ie 101 later. I don't think this is much of a problem for fish and game to issue a few more permits on any hunt as there is always a notable percentage that do not hunt their tags.

Hope that helps

Kurt

Thanks for the info, Kurt. Glad to see that I didn't just miss it the first time around. Looks like I've got some planning to do!

106 permits were given out for dc590.

Quote Originally Posted by pa18tony View Post
    106 permits were given out for dc590.
    Hmmm, must've been five others in the same boat as me. I wonder if the same was true for DC001 and DC827?