Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jim Creek

Default Jim Creek

We heard from someone at the Peters Creek Chevron station while gasing up our little chev rental car that the silvers & reds were really in Jim Creek now. We are at a rental cabin in Peters Creek where we were last yr but had an SUV so we could fish there. Husband says next yr we will drive up
    with our own SUV so he can get where he wants to go. We fly out on the 6th. Just thought I would pass this info on to you guys who want to fish Jim.

Default Actually...

Right now the water is way up and stained due to the warm weather and rain so it's sloooow. Last week the reds fishing was great and the silvers were just trickling in. My last trip in there 2 days ago there just weren't many fish being pulled, not worth the effort to get in there yet.

I haven't been to Jim Creek in a long while, but I don't recall it being a very long walk, from where you could park a Cadillac to where you could start fishing. Not trying to create a controversy on this topic, but is it not a reasonable expectation to have to walk a ways, for access? Does the Bor have improvements slated for the road into this area, as they have done for the Eklutna Tailrace? What is the distance one would have to walk if they did not feel comfortable in driving all the way to the creek?

Seems to be maybe 3 miles from the lot

No it ain't that far and is easily walked. Maybe a mile or 1.5 miles

People are driving cars, vans and motorhomes in there. Why walk, especially with a "rental" car Drive that puppy in there and go fishing.

It all depends on which access point you are using. One is 1.2 miles as the crow flies and the other is 2 miles.. The trails aren't straight by any means either.

On another note, I was out there last saturday on the wheeler drowning it. No not on purpose but it happens. While we were riding there was a fellow that was flying 30' off the deck buzzing us multiple times over some time. If I had been able to have gotten the numbers off that plane well......... I don't know what the FAA rules or what have you are but I sure don't take kindly to some moron playing games in his airplane dirctly over my family on the ground. IF by some chance he reads this he will know who I am because he got the bird the last time as he was heading directly at me at 100 miles an hour.

Suppose this would have qualified as a DLP? hehe
    Last edited by AKBighorn; 07-31-2007 at 18:04. Reason: addition

Guess we won't try the rental car,we really don't want to buy it.
    Had a great time fishing there last yr. Next yr as I said will be a different story.

Default Sat afternoon at Jim Creek

I went there on Saturday too, and saw that plane flying low, actually there was more than one plane flying low and I think both of them landed.
    That place was crowded, heard multiple gunshots. Fishing sucked though, there was a guy riding a snowmachine!?? on the shallows, I'm pretty shure he scared all the fish.

I was there saturday also. No I don't think that guy in the plane buzzing everybody landed, other planes did though. We are talking about the guy in the brown plane that was flying NUDE right
    Yes there were snowmachines, utility atvs, sport atvs, argos, monster trucks. regular trucks, dirt bikes, airplanes, pontoon boats, jet boats, propboats, canoes, airboats etc, the only guy missing was the kid who rides a riding lawnmower up there.
    Nobody is excluded from this area and if someone wants to fish in peace and quiet you won't find it at JC. There were 2 State police patrolling on atvs, keeping a lid on illegal activity. JC is what it is, a place for all of us. The enemy is any user group trying to BAN any other user group. Pick up your trash and any trash you have room for on the way out. The wind, the water and the spring and fall cleanups will take care of the rest.
    It's real simple, if you don't like using JC and aren't willing to tolerate people having fun in the legal manner they choose than go somewhere else. No offense intended to anyone

Default Amen

Let's have one place for everyone.
    Just don't hurt yourself or anyone else.

Don't forget to take BP Vests

Quote Originally Posted by dws View Post
    I was there saturday also. No I don't think that guy in the plane buzzing everybody landed, other planes did though. We are talking about the guy in the brown plane that was flying NUDE right
    Yes there were snowmachines, utility atvs, sport atvs, argos, monster trucks. regular trucks, dirt bikes, airplanes, pontoon boats, jet boats, propboats, canoes, airboats etc, the only guy missing was the kid who rides a riding lawnmower up there.
    Nobody is excluded from this area and if someone wants to fish in peace and quiet you won't find it at JC. There were 2 State police patrolling on atvs, keeping a lid on illegal activity. JC is what it is, a place for all of us. The enemy is any user group trying to BAN any other user group. Pick up your trash and any trash you have room for on the way out. The wind, the water and the spring and fall cleanups will take care of the rest.
    It's real simple, if you don't like using JC and aren't willing to tolerate people having fun in the legal manner they choose than go somewhere else. No offense intended to anyone
    I don't think I'd want Jim Creek any other way to be honest.

Default junk cars

I agree, I love to go out there, been to the glacier several time and done some fishing. Just wish that whoever is junking cars and dumping trash would stop. That area is just beautiful, and such a little treasure so close to home.

FM

Where do you park to get to Jim Creek?

Unhappy It's for all of us

I was there too and it is sad what has become of this wonderful resource. It is also a reminder that we all have access to this no matter what type of vehicle we (Or not) use. I have never been in there in a plane but by boat, foot horse & atv and have been doing so for the better part of 20 years.
    The amount of trash is stunning. I don't mean just fishing line but beer bottles, cans and all kinds of other crap. More than one diaper too. Come on people, some of you might like to live like that but I would hope you would be in the minority. Our group tries to take out as much trash as possible but it seems a like a losing battle.
    I was there friday Night trying to fish and left when the third drunk tried his "hill climb" on the dunes blasting past my kids at 40mph & 30'.
    The planes I saw "Buzzing" did land after several attempts to clear those that did not realize they were landing. While one was attempting to land a small unsupervised kid on a 4 wheeler turned in fron of him. it is comon to have a plane make a low pass to look before putting down so I don't know. we've never had a problem, I can only imagine that they have a lot more at stake to risk anything that stupid.
    I was really disapointed how many burned cars were there after last years clean up. I was also dispointed how many people are from Anchorage that seem to feel that it's a lawless place for us to play. I recognized more than one rig on the hiway going home. Each year seems a little worse. Maybe I'm just getting older, but the fishing seems worse too.

Default JC this morning

Was out to Jim Creek this morning. Got out there around 4am and left at 7 with some fish. Not a great morning of fishing, but still a bit productive. There were lots of people out there and it seems that it just gets more popular every year. Not at all like 20 years ago when you could back your truck right up to the water and fish out of the back. At that time 10 people was a crowd. Well, times have changed and it is now a lot more accessible and a lot more publicized. I am very greatful that we have that place and that people can use it for many different purposes. My only requests are that, as has been previously stated, people pick up their trash, don't keep snagged fish, and... I know that the water is shallow, but if you have fish swimming behind you, please back up in line with everyone else. It makes it so difficult for us fly guys to get a good drift when we have to fish around you because you are standing on the fish. Thanks for your support in keeping this resource open and useable.

Default Wild Run?

Quote Originally Posted by aklifer View Post
    Was out to Jim Creek this morning. Got out there around 4am and left at 7 with some fish. Not a great morning of fishing, but still a bit productive. There were lots of people out there and it seems that it just gets more popular every year. Not at all like 20 years ago when you could back your truck right up to the water and fish out of the back. At that time 10 people was a crowd. Well, times have changed and it is now a lot more accessible and a lot more publicized. I am very greatful that we have that place and that people can use it for many different purposes. My only requests are that, as has been previously stated, people pick up their trash, don't keep snagged fish, and... I know that the water is shallow, but if you have fish swimming behind you, please back up in line with everyone else. It makes it so difficult for us fly guys to get a good drift when we have to fish around you because you are standing on the fish. Thanks for your support in keeping this resource open and useable.
    JC is a wild coho run, correct?
    Hike faster. I hear banjo music.

I'll say this just to clarify my anger towards the plane I spoke about. He was clearly not trying to land rather he was flying low pretending to be in an obstacle course between trees more like you would see in a stunt show. Now we were on wheelers riding across the flats around bends etc. and this happend several times some distance apart. I am sure he wasn't trying to land at every available bit of flat land that was out there while flying on his wing tips. I know what a flyby is and when to expect that a plane would appreciate you moving aside so they may land. The sky is huge and if he want's to fly like a stunt pilot he can do so away from others.

I don't have any problem with any user until they start making someone feel threatened or put someone in an unsafe situation.

Yes, Jim Creek is a wild run. I have fished it for years and it sadens me to see all the people down there abusing the resource. For those folks who have been around a while think about what Willow Creek was and what Willow Creek is now. Jim Creek could get to that piont very rapidly. The more people access it. The better the access will get. You think there is a lot of people down there now. You have not seen anything yet. Let them improve the access to that place. Fish and Game will have to manage that run a lot closer than what they do now. You will be paying to park and to ride your ATV's. I hope it never comes to that, because it is truely a beautiful area. I appreciate all the volunteers who go out to help clean up.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast