Thread: Symphony and Eagle Lakes

Default Symphony and Eagle Lakes

Any fish in Symphony or Eagle Lake? I'm thinking about setting up camp there Tuesday and hiking Eagle Peak Wednesday.

There are lots of grayling in Symphony Lake. I've heard second hand reports of tiny dollies in Eagle Lake, but I'm not so sure about that.

I've never fished for grayling. What should I use? Should I bring my fly pole or regular pole? Thanks!

Small black or brown flies work really, really well on grayling, as do small spinners. I usually use the fly rod for grayling, but it shouldn't matter too much - grayling aren't particularly picky eaters. If you have any interest in keeping any, they are pretty decent if cooked that day, but they don't keep well. Cooked on a camp stove with some butter and garlic, though, their mild white flesh is pretty tasty.

Stop in by Mountain View Sports in Anchorage or Boondock Sporting Goods in Eagle River - they'll set you up with some good grayling flies or spinners.

Will do! Thanks for the advice... I got a ridiculously nice fly-rod as a graduation present a couple months ago and have STILL not used it. I'll definitely bring it out.

Last question (that's not a promise)... should I bring my waders?

you can fish without waders but they might be helpful
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.