Thread: favorite fly pattern for salmon?

Default favorite fly pattern for salmon?

In stocking up for my September trip, I purchased some general patterns: purple and black egg sucking leeches, pink articulated leeches, and some other rabbit strip leech patterns. Will stop by the local shop in Sitka for some local, preferred patterns.

So what is everyone's favorite fly pattern?

Beadhead Woolly Buggers in a range of colors. Easy to tie, and you can sort through the color spectrum pretty quick once you are on the water to find out what colors to zero in on. Best combo for silvers on sunny days is all kelly green with gold bead and gold rib. Dark days switch to all black with a silver bead and a rainbow Krystal Flash racing stripe down each side under the palmered hackles. In saltwater try all white with SD blue hackle and a silver bead.

Not very conventional, mostly because not many people think to try such a basic pattern. Want to turn any of them into variations on the ESL? Slide a bead up on your line before tying on the fly.

Purple egg sucking leach, no flash. If you are fishing silvers and they won't hit an ESL they aren't gonna hit in the river. Since you are going to sitka stock up on clousers and flash flies.
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

What size ESL do you tie for silvers?

I usually use size 6 for just about every thing. But I will tie a variety of sizes just incase. For silvers though I wouldn't go smaller the 6.

4 or 6 usually 4 because most of my streamer hooks are sz 4, my life is dictated by whats in my hook box
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.