Thread: Customizing an Enclosed Trailer

Default Customizing an Enclosed Trailer

Hello All...perused the forum and figured this is probably the most appropriate section to post under.

So, recently bought a 27' enclosed trailer to haul all the toys around. Was wondering what some of you might have done to make them habitable? Figure I'll start with some flip down cots, add a heater etc. but would really like some advice from those that have done it first. Figure I'll learn from others mistakes as to what should be done / left alone and maybe see some pictures.

Thanks for taking the time to reply,
    John

Is it 27' total length or box length? Ceiling height? Walls and roof insulated or not? Wheel wells inside or smooth floor? Will you use it to camp in during the winter?

We've had a few over the years and set each one up a little different as we learned from trial and error. I can give you some ideas and get pictures of the two we have now.

Default Re: the trailer

Thanks for the reply.

The trailer is parked out at the parents right now but will answer what I know. The trailer is 27' in total length. It has a V'd front with a drive out ramp. The floor is smooth and currently in great shape. Right now nothing is insulated. Ceiling height is quite high, while I don't know the exact height right now, I would guess 7.5' or so..well above my head at 6'..maybe as high as 8'.

I would like to use it for some winter camping. I am an avid hunter/fisherman and spend a lot of time in the winter snowmachining. I would like to use the trailer as part camper to help avoid the frigid cold when spending time up off the Denali, etc. I'm not expecting it to be as comfortable or get as warm as a true camper but would be nice to be able to take the edge off.

I envision having sleeping for four, probably thru 4 fold down cots but beyond that I'm just looking for some direction.

Thanks again for the input / tips.

John

I used to have a V nose trailer theat I did what you are doing. I mounted a 3 burner stove/oven in the v-nose with small cabinets on the upper side walls and put a 10,000 BTU heater in a side wall. I had two fold down beds and could use them for chairs for the table. I also made a full sized bed in the back with removable 2x4's and plywood and put an air matress on it. I bought the trailer and it came insulated, extra windows and a regular camper side door with a screen door. One comment, make sure you have good ventilation.

Thanks for the input. I was certainly thinking that I'll have to have good ventilation. The roof has several vents but I'd doubt those are adequate. Did that heater get it quite warm in there?

the heater worked fine. I would usually run it mornings and evenings and use sleeping bags at night. The trailer was warm in less than 15 minutes

I also had a rack on top to carry a canoe or anything else long and light. I have seen some at race tracks with a deck on top. They made a great observation platform.

I camp in my enclosed trailer a couple of times a year, including at Arctic Man. I used to have an uninsulated leaky trailer and now I have a well insulated, well sealed trailer. When I lay down at night I can't tell the difference, except for what setting the heater is on. None of the trailers have insulated floors so expect the floor to be cold and the head-high area to be hot.

I use my trailer primarily as a sled hauler so I don't want too much stuff permanently mounted. Camp cots, lawn chairs, and a plastic folding table from Costco work great for me, and they go back in the shed when I get home.

The must-have things? Lots of lights. I like an on-board battery so I can turn the lights on without the truck being hooked up. I have a shore power plug on the outside with marine battery charger mounted alongside a deep cycle battery, and a couple of 110v outlets so I can plug things in when I'm running a generator to the shore power plug. (A fan goes a long way to distribute your heat). A window and a couple of small cabinets up high are nice, too. Hooks on the wall to hang stuff. A fire extinguisher. And I take a little CO2 alarm when I camp.

One of my customers was here with a trailer that he made the bed raise and lower with a electric wench, had heater and windows lots of storage and packed his Mokai on top. It was 10 feet long fixed up nice.
    Cheers

I've wondered how you deal with the doors on a cargo trailer. They are designed to be secured from the outside. How do you 'close' your doors from the inside? How do you prevent someone from locking you inside.