Thread: Cordova Info

Question Cordova Info

Are there any campgrounds in Cordova? Also, are there any salmon run rivers or is beach fishing productive for salmon? Any info is much appreciated!
    We never really grow up, we only learn
    how to act in public

Cordova is a nice town. I worked there in the canneries once upon a time and I fished there a few years ago for reds.

You should be aware that Cordova is a commercial fishing town and many people don't like sport fishermen. We had a fair amount of negative looks from the locals when fishing on the Eyak (which is supposed to be pretty good for silvers).

Besides the Eyak, I believe there is some good fishing on the Alagnak(?) as well.

BE WARNED: We were constantly watched by the local police, State Troopers and Forest Service rangers during our visit. Every day we were there we were glassed by the above. They appeared to be unused to having sport fishermen around and had a lot of spare time to watch us. Very strange.

Other than the fish cops it was a fun place to visit. Great glaciers out by the Million $ bridge too.

jb

Default alaganik slough

We attempted sport fishing in May-prior to the red run. There are guides at the Cannery, and on the Eyak red and Silver fishing is big. The guidels at the Cannery were very nice and friendly. Although sport fishing is not the biggest dollars for the town, you will find that many locals fish the fleming spit, the Eyak, and the alaganik for fun and freezer. Halibut is also good.

At the fleming spit, the locals were very rude to us(ignored hello, hi, "how old are your kids"-walked off-a little bit odd/cold ) Up the road, silver fishing with a fly rod is popular,and probably contributes to the economy. Several articles in AK magezine and Fish Alaska mention the great slough fishing for silvers in September-never done it though.

We found a beautiful historic cabin (forest service rental) at the alaganik slough. Small, but it had an interesting history. Ten miles before the copper river bridge is another popular Silver fishing creek-forget the name-but it is marked on the delorme atlas. Dolly and Cutthroat fishing should be getting good as well. I have to admit we did poorly in May-but these statements are from what I read/researched/bs'ed and observed on our trip.

Default Upper Eyak

I forgot to mention-the upper Eyak (above the lake!)is one of the most beautiful rivers I have seen in AK- and I have traveled for work/play from Ketchikan to Barrrow. I have to check the regs, but I think silver fishing is supposed to occur there.

Thumbs up Good Info

Thanks guys! This is a great forum!
    We never really grow up, we only learn
    how to act in public