Thread: Mudlites XL vs. Radial XTR, Mud Bugs, etc

Default Mudlites XL vs. Radial XTR, Mud Bugs, etc

Anybody here have real comparison experience on these two versions; i.e. is it worth the extra $ for the radials and do they perform as good?

How about compared to Mud Bugs?

My typical riding varies from the super muddy crap to high country or beach cruising so I don't need to get anything that's going to beat the stuff out of my machine-nor require more oomph than available (Kodiak 400).

Thanks in advance.

I really contemplated getting the XTR's on my Grizz. After discussing it with some folks I decided against it. Someone put it to me this way: If you are riding on hard ground or alot of rock such as the Southwest U.S., go with the radials. Up here in the mud and soft ground the radials are a bit of a waste of money. I have no complaints with the mudlites.
    EricL

Default One vote for the Mudlite XLs

Been running the XLs for over a year and can't believe that I didn't have them from day 1...

If you have concerns about the $ for the different models...PM me. I'd be interested in selling off the XLs just to try out the XTRs. I don't know that they would be any better but I've been looking for an excuse to pick up a pair! I have the 26" models.

IceKing02

Of the 3 I would go with the mudbugs. How much more do the bugs cost than the XLs? I've been running the XLs on my 400 Kody for 2 years now. Good all around tire, but after watching those bugs work for other people It's easy to see they are a better tire. I thought they cost quite a bit more than the XLs which is why I didn't buy them. That and the fact my Kody is for friends and family and I ride my Grizz I tried 26" 589s on the Kody but they were too heavy and the Kody lost to much power using them.
    Go to the tire discussion section on Highlifter.com and you'll also find the general opinion is that bugs are superior to mudlites in all ways except price.

Default $, etc

Yeah, it seems the consensus is that the MudBugs mud better than the Lites (XL or radials being about the same in this regard presumably) while still maintaining a pretty good ride-unlike full blown mudders like 589's, Mudzillas, etc.

Price wise they are actually cheaper ($60-$70/tire for 26s') -online pricing anyhow. Don't know if anybody stocks them locally unlike Mudlites? Sounds like the tire to get for our typical Alaska combo-terrain.

Cool $, etc

Yeah, it seems the consensus is that the MudBugs mud better than the Lites (XL or radials being about the same in this regard presumably) while still maintaining a pretty good ride-unlike full blown mudders like 589's, Mudzillas, etc. And it sounds like they hold up longer due to a harder compound.

Price wise they are actually cheaper ($60-$70/tire for 26s') -online pricing anyhow. Don't know if anybody stocks them locally unlike Mudlites? Sounds like the tire to get for our typical Alaska combo-terrain.

Default ITP 589's

I for one have been VERY happy with the ITP 589's as an all around Alaskan terrain tire.As far as rough ride goes,not at all....I have the same tires on my wifes machine and 3 friends have purchased these tires as well after riding with me as well as riding my machine.They wear very good and long and give you alot of time and miles to get your money out of them.

Default Radials are the way to go.

I am running the XTR and have ridden a friends machine with standard mudlite xl each has its plusses, but the only 2 the tractor bias tires have is cost and somtimes the smaller rounder footprint can help in just the right kind of slick clay uphill climb. other than that the softer flat broad footprint from radials will get you through more offroad obstacles. they "give" a little more on sharps along the trail so punctures are less likely. and the compounds used last longer. So you pay more for a tire that will get you through more junk more comfortably and will last for more miles. Just the added miles alone makes it a no brainer, changing tires is a pain, do it as little as possible.

Thumbs up 589's

I looked at alot of different tires before deciding on ordering a set of 589's. Motosports had the best price, with free shipping.
    ( to ALASKA..)

http://www.motosport.com/offroad/index.php