Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do u eat pinks in rivers?

Default Do u eat pinks in rivers?

Are pinks in the rivers in alaska (like in mat-su streams like willow, montana etc.) not good eating? Are they still good as long as they are silver or do they turn as soon as u see that hump? I know the pinks that we catch in the Lake Huron while trolling for others salmon are pretty good....but I've never caught them in rivers. Do people just not keep them b/c silvers and kings are just much better?

With better species available in my area, I don't bother eating pinks even when they're ocean caught. With both kings and silvers swimming around out there, I am not going to count a pink toward my daily harvest.

If I were starving to death I might consider eating one out of a river. I'm sure it would be a little bit better than some of the things eaten on Fear Factor.

Default Pinks

I was fishing for late run reds last year in late July in the wee hours of the morning. I caught a large bright pink, and due to the low light conditions and mud on the bank, didn't realize it was a pink until I got it home. It was very bright and no hump had developed at all. I put it on the smoker and it was okay, but nothing that I would deliberately keep when the reds and silvers are so plentiful.

I eat em'
    I don't keep em' when I'm fishing for silvers, but I make a trip or two to Hope every year, more for fun than to keep fish, and usually end up taking a couple home. Steam up pretty good on the barby.

Make SURE they're fresh.

Jon

Many people from out side alaska like pinks. It is just those of use that have had realy good salmon that don't like pinks.

In my opinion pinks are no worse than eating a year old frozen red or king

Default Humpy sandwich

If you order salmon in the lower 48 they may not say what kind, and good chance it's pink. I saw a commercial recently for a chain restaurant serving salmon dinner and what was on the plate was pink. If you buy canned salmon in the lower 48 grocery stores, it won't be king, silver, or red, it will be pink.
    I used to say that Alaskan's were spoiled, but now I'm one of them and I have to admit I am sort of spoiled now too.
    Hike faster. I hear banjo music.

It had been a long time since we had kept a pink. So a couple years ago a friend and I both thought man these things are bright so we kept a couple to smoke. Blah, yuk.......... You can say they are ok or we have been spoiled but I will never keep another pink unless of course I was starving then I suppose they probably aren't too bad. The ones we kept we smoked, they were mushy and oily, hardly what I would consider meat. Just my opinion so I guess you can try them for yourself and see if you like them, some people do.

Having said all that, when I was younger. My mother used to buy canned pink salmon in which she made salmon patties. I don't ever recall having mushy oily salmon from a can. I don't know if that is because of what the canning process does to the meat or if its because they were caught in the ocean. Either way, I'll pass at every opportunity. Guess I've been spoiled living here.

Amen, Wilddog. I love salmon and will eat any of em', except the old dog. But if the silver fishing is good, and o it is right now in Juneau, I wont eat anything but. Unless the stray King happens on the hoochie, like yesterday, then I will make the exception.

well they get at least 3 cents a pound for pinks so somebody must like to eat them. In the ocean they are fine better than farmed fish for sure...
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Smile

I make a really good fish soup with pink salmon. But I'm like the rest of the guys, I won't target them and if I catch a couple, they have to be pretty fresh and silver before I take them home.

Sounds like I would not keep one unless the fishing really stunk and I definitely won't be taking any back home....thanks for all of the opinions.

you shouldn't keep one unless you plan on bringing it back home, unless you are gonna eat it right there..
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Default Ocean run

The ocean run fish, bright and fresh are fair table fare. I smoke a few and grill one or two a year. They are not bad. But with much more desireabe fish on the way, silvers and kings, I don't keep many.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

My second year in AK I sent 50 pounds of pinks back to my family in PA. They loved it! The next year I was able to send 50 pounds of reds back home, they liked it but asked that next time I send pinks! A friend of mine suggested that since they were used to eating pinks from the store that reds tasted different than what they were used too??
    Dave

Fresh humpy over a hot fire is ****ed fine eating. Flavor reminds me of fresh rainbows or dollies cooked the same way. Nothing wrong with those humpy's....

Sorry to offend those who dont believe in eating rainbows or dollies....
    Attached Images Attached Images

Shoot.. I don't know guys I like pinks grilled blackened over real hot charcoal - yum! Prefer them to silvers which seem kind of bland. Kings are great but rich so OD if I eat them every day. Sockeye are the best of all.

Barbequed pinks or dollies are great but "real" Alaskans seem to balk a lot at them? I don't know.. ***.. I only been here 23 years so I might not be a real Alaskan

Talking Dawg Food

I was back in Washington DC and went to dinner at the Fish Market in Old Town. Their pride for that evening was fresh Alaskan Salmon. I asked the waiter what kind of salmon was it? He said it was red salmon. I asked him not the color, but the species. He came back with a smile and said "pink salmon," it was very delicious. I said no thank you and ordered something else.

Later the manager came by and inquired why I didn't like the main dish for the evening as they had been getting rave reviews from their customers. I stated his customers didn't know what they were talking about. I stated I was from Alaska where we use pink salmon as "dawg food!"

The manager left. Got to love those right coast folks.

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
    MMSI# 338131469
    Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/

Gotta disagree with ya Bassking and others a bright pink is decent table fare in must other places they are preferred to silvers or reds. Canned salmon is almost always pink salmon ect.. a river caught pink and chums go to the dogs but not salt caught pinks!

Talking Pinks are under-rated

Quote Originally Posted by G P View Post
    Shoot.. I don't know guys I like pinks grilled blackened over real hot charcoal - yum! Prefer them to silvers which seem kind of bland. Kings are great but rich so OD if I eat them every day. Sockeye are the best of all.

Barbequed pinks or dollies are great but "real" Alaskans seem to balk a lot at them? I don't know.. ***.. I only been here 23 years so I might not be a real Alaskan
    You are correct. Too many people don't know how to cook them. Just like those who say flounder is no good to eat. The key is freshness and cooking quickly and hot with a good seasoning including lots of butter, garlic, onions and dill if you've got it.

Of all the salmon, reds are the best for cooking in various ways.

But then I've only been here for 42 years so I might not be a real Alaskan either.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast