Thread: brown bear partner

Default brown bear partner

I need a different brown bear partner; the last one was great but he has a job conflict for fall hunting. I am thinking specifically of going across Cook Inlet in latter Sept/Oct, in my boat, and am trying to put together a research trip over there beforehand, too. I do not use hunting as an excuse to drink all night and fart around; I hunt pretty hard. I got a brown bear this spring, but want another. I am in good shape and pretty big on "safety first", too; too many close calls have aged me. Drop me a PM if you'd like to chat about this; I'd be happy to do so. Look forward to a response or three. Am in Frb, btw. john
    Last edited by jklingel; 07-29-2007 at 23:25. Reason: forogt info

Default Cook inlet bear hunt

Don't know how far you got on your research yet. Much of the good land right across form Kenai is native land (CIRI). You have to get a permit to hunt it. I hunted the area near Redoubt Creek on the beach 2 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Mkay View Post
    Don't know how far you got on your research yet. Much of the good land right across form Kenai is native land (CIRI). You have to get a permit to hunt it. I hunted the area near Redoubt Creek on the beach 2 years ago.
    Were you approached by anyone from CIRI, while in the field? Was the land posted in accordance with the Alaska State Statutes? Did you pay for the permit?

Default more info for ya

Gentlemen/women(?) who responded. Thank you. Here is more info. My plan is to go to the Redoubt Crk-Drift River area, but Mkay indicates more research is needed there. (thanks, too). My boat is almost identical to this one http://www.ribcraftusa.com/pro/pro65alspecs.htm, so we will be camping and anchoring the boat offshore, etc. Time frame is latter Sept/early Oct; cold. I am in good shape but I am 59; just so you know. I ski/bike/run pretty regularly, but I ain't 28 any more. I also do NOT carry a live round in the chamber unless things are serious, and don't expect you too, either (if we hunt together). I'll be in touch w/ you folks, and look forward to learning/sharing. Thanks again. john

Default More Info

We hunted 1/2 mile south of Redoubt creek mouth along a stretch of shoreline.
    Native land - My hunting partner argued over getting a permit. We did not but in retrospect, looking at the BLM map, I think we should have.
    Getting up and on top the beach was difficult and we failed. The alders are thick about 50 -100 yards onshore. You almost need a chainsaw to get thru.
    Not sure how a bear would react to saw noise.
    Tidal actions - At low tide you would have to walk about 1/2 mile to get to the beach. If you saw a bear at low tide I think someone would have to stay with the boat.
    If you send me a post I will give you more info.

Default land ownership

You can find out who owns land in alaska easily by using this state DNR Website

http://mapper.landrecords.info/

drinking all night and farting around is not an excuse to go hunting, it's a freaking part of hunting!!!! sounds like you have a very boring hunting trip planned!!!! i'll pass!!!!!

Just shaking my head in disgust at some of the corky's on here
    Formerly known as one who clings to guns and religion

Unhappy

Ditto Dave.

Somewhere between lucky and extremely lucky

Default I love it...

If I have "weasel" as competition in the field, I love it!!! However, he/she seems to be interferring in the integrity of the site...

Quote Originally Posted by sockeye1 View Post
    If I have "weasel" as competition in the field, I love it!!! However, he/she seems to be interferring in the integrity of the site...

yes, I think the he/she fits perfect for it! LOL
    Formerly known as one who clings to guns and religion

Default i'll assume....

... that weasel is kidding. i'll sleep better that way. i love being bored, i guess. it is nice and quiet in my little world, and this hot chicks comes out of the radio to dance w/ me whenever i turn it on.... later. john