Thread: Took Daughter Halibut Fishing She Got A 235#er

Default Took Daughter Halibut Fishing She Got A 235#er

SUPRISINGLY DID NOT HURT , MADE MY EYES WATER WHEN TUGGING ON IT TO GET OUT.
    PLEASE WEAR SAFETY GLASS WHEN FISHING. A LITTLE HIGHER AND NO GLASSES THIS COULD HAVE BEEN MAJOR DISASTER. FRIEND IS BLIND IN ONE EYE BECAUSE OF WEIGHT HITTING HIS EYE.
    RETIRED U.S.A.F. CAPT.; LIFETIME MEMBER NRA; LIFETIME MEMBER ALASKA BOWHUNTER ASSOC.
    MASTER BOWHUNTER EDUCATION INSTRUCTOR; MEMBER UNITED BLOOD TRACKERS; POPE & YOUNG MEASURER

EWWWWWWWEEE that is a stinker. I hear all the kids think nose peircings are hip these days. Maybe it was an attempt to make you the "cool dad." I once managed to hook myself in the eye lid. Had just enough time close my eye before a mepps flying at the speed of sound hit me directly in the face. No pics though.

Default ouch

When i was younger I had the same exact color pixie hook my ear from my sister casting. That one hurt a little bit becuase two of the 3 hooks went in. Sorry to see that one. Good story for years to come though, right?

Default owch

Dude-
    Try to hold off discussing cutting her allowance until AFTER the next fishing trip....
    Glad you're OK

OK, so I realize this isn't necessarily a funny event however, I read the title and thought, WOW his daughter got a lunker halibut.......... Not!

Default Sooo

What was she doing with a pixie on a halibut hunt? Sorry to hear see you plight but at least you have a sense of humor.

Dang! Hope it all gets better soon. OUCH!

I was fishing the russian this weekend for reds and took it on the chin from flying led that had popped lose from a foul hooked king. Dropped me to my knees and hurt like hell. I saw it coming from about 100-feet but still had no time to move because it was coming so fast. I cant imagine if it had hit me in the eye. Makes me sick to think about it.
    http://www.pbase.com/tull777

http://www.eddiefisherphoto.com/

"If you're too open-minded, your brains will fall out. ....."Tight Lines & Best Fishes"

I have seen a guy fish 200' of water in homer with a pixie and outfish the rest of us 3 to 1. I would never have believed it if I had'nt seen it with my own eyes.

Default Cool!

Wow, dad got a nose ring!! My mom snagged me in the ear when I was a kid. She also snagged the eye glasses off my dad and flung them out into the gulf of Mexico; he told her to "reel in!!; reel in!!" and got them back. She was notorious for her really bad casting "technique". I feel your pain.

Default Catch and Release

Hopefully it was catch and release! We have all been there. Hope it heals soon.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Talking

DURING THE 4 DAY HAILBUT TRIP YOUNGEST DAUGHTER (30+) WAS FISHING FOR SALMON WITH SPINNING GEAR. DAD( ME) HAD FORGOT THE NET I GOT IN FRONT OF HER AND WAS KNEELING TO REACH OVER SIDE AND GRAB SALMON WHEN THE HOOK PULLED LOOSE....I WILL TELL YOU I WAS HOOKED ALOT BETTER THAN THE SALMON I HAD ASKED FOR PAIR OF PLIERS......THE DAUGHTER HOLDING ROD SHOULD NOT BE THE ONE TO TRY AND GET PLIERS LINE WAS TOO TIGHT OF COARSE SHE JUMPED WHEN I YELLED AND THINGS GOT STRETCHED MORE. DID NOT EVEN BLEED ......UNTIL I TRIRD TO REMOVE IT A FEW TIMES. THEN IT SURE DID, MY DAILY ASPRIN DID NOT HELP IT TO STOP BLEEDING. I'M STILL AMAZED IT REALLY DID NOT HURT MUCH. HEALING WELL AND SORENESS IS GONE. AND IT WAS MY IDEA FOR THE PICTURE; GIRLS DID NOT DARE TO ASK TO GET PHOTO.......THEY WERE MORE SHOOK UP THAN I WAS!
    RETIRED U.S.A.F. CAPT.; LIFETIME MEMBER NRA; LIFETIME MEMBER ALASKA BOWHUNTER ASSOC.
    MASTER BOWHUNTER EDUCATION INSTRUCTOR; MEMBER UNITED BLOOD TRACKERS; POPE & YOUNG MEASURER

Don't know if this photo will come through....

Was ready with the net when the hook and 4-oz banana weight came flying. Was lucky I got turned a bit before it hit. Nine hours later when we had our limits at Pony Cove and were finished fishing for the day, I headed in to have it removed.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Pat,

I'm sure glad you werent bowfishing!

northriver21 yea that would have been a reL BAD DAY

Congrats to your daughter Pat, but I do have a couple questions... Did she enter the derby? Is snagging legal where you are fishing?

I took one in the neck while I was younger trying to fly fish with a regular rod and reel. Had to go to the doc's to get it pulled out. I think I was around 10 at the time.

I'll probably see you or your truck up north. We'll be going up a few days before you.

jerod see what you have to look forward to as your girls get older
    probably see you on 20th i will probably try mile 50 launch.