Thread: 375 Ruger

Default 375 Ruger

Any one out there still looking for one of these? I had a chance to see one at Delat Junction this weekend. It felt good but I am not sure that I am ready to replace my 34 year old Winchester MD70 in 338 Mag yet.

Quote Originally Posted by AK Bearcat View Post
    Any one out there still looking for one of these? I had a chance to see one at Delat Junction this weekend. It felt good but I am not sure that I am ready to replace my 34 year old Winchester MD70 in 338 Mag yet.
    The CFO won't let me buy a gun right now, but I'm thinking ahead...

Have you had a chance to shoot the .375 Ruger? The concepts behind the new shorter/fatter (compared to the H&H) shell make sense and there's history and evidence to prove it... to me, that makes it interesting, even if I didn't care about shorter actions. I'm wondering how the recoil compares to the .338 Win Mag and the .375 H&H ...from a real person, not a gun mag. I wonder if the .375 Ruger will catch on? I'm keeping my eye on this one... I want one, but I wonder if it'll fail to get enough attention kinda like my .480 Ruger wheel gun (out of production ...with promises in the wind ...I'm saving and buying brass 'cuz I like this gun.)

Brian

Talking

I want to get a new rifle in a 375 and when this one came out, I was seriously thinking about it, but I was a little suspicious about the short action in a 375 with as much pressure and velocity that they clam it has. Not saying that it isnít a good round, but I think it is just a fad for than anything else. I have decided on building a 375-404 Jeffery. I have always liked having something just a little different. That will be my choice for a 375 cal rifle. Just being different.

Quote Originally Posted by whitlock View Post
    I want to get a new rifle in a 375 and when this one came out, I was seriously thinking about it, but I was a little suspicious about the short action in a 375 with as much pressure and velocity that they clam it has. Not saying that it isnít a good round, but I think it is just a fad for than anything else. I have decided on building a 375-404 Jeffery. I have always liked having something just a little different. That will be my choice for a 375 cal rifle. Just being different.
    Actually the 375 Ruger is not a short action and it operates at exactly the same pressure as the 100 years old H&H. The H&H is 2.850" and the Ruger is 2.5" the short mags are 2.0". There's nothing wrong with the Ruger and I don't think it is a fad. What killed the WSMs was the lawsuit and Winchester folding up.

The Ruger has more case capacity and will give better ballistics at H&H pressure or H&H ballistics at lower pressure. The people who talk about the pressure and and the case do not know anything about it. Get hold of a round of ammo and look it over.

The 404 cartridge is longer than the H&H by a little bit and will require a special length action for it. Why do you think no one makes a rifle for it except the Magnum length CZ and Dakota African action. A lot to be said for the 'something different' and the 404 Jeff case is a great case to 'cat' on but left full length, it is a big case.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Murphy,

I believe you mentioned some where else on the board that you had shot the .375 Ruger. How does the recoil compare to the .338 WM and .375 H&H? Personally, I think the .375 H&H has a softer recoil than the .338 WM because of the slower recoil speed on the .375 H&H. Is the .375 Ruger similiar to the .375 H&H or is the recoil more sharp like the .338 WM?

I've got to be honest here, the African model with it's soft thin non skid piece of rubbery like substance is not a recoil pad. The Hogue stocked guns are much more comfortable to shoot. The African will ah..... how shall I put this....it smarts! It is the hardest hitting 375 anything I've ever shot. Stock shape and LOP and fit to the shooter play a part in this felt recoil but with this thing I feel the recoil. It's sort of like gettting in "touch" with your "feelings". I haven't put a good pad on it which I'm sure would help a lot, because I am going to sell the rifle. In fact it goes up for sale this week.

I dislike the Hogue stock for several reasons but the pad is very good. Fo about $75 I could put a decellerator pad on the African model and probably get my money back in the sale, but some would prefer the limbsaver pad.

300 grain bullets at 2650 or so is some pretty hefty recoil and the stock needs a good pad. It is a 7 1/2 pound rifle. I have about 150 rounds through it now and I know it hates me.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Default 375 Ruger

My African sits in a "canoe paddle" stock with factory pad. I don't think the recoil is that bad. It certainly is less than my 416 Remington and is not painful by any means. The velocity, weight of bullet, and grains/type of powder are fairly close to the H&H, so recoil is pretty close for similar weight rifles. If one would have problems with the lighter weight Ruger, one would have problems with a lighter weight H&H.

GVA

I had the opportunity to shoot my Alaskan tonight with the Hornady factory 270 grainers (I haven't been able to get my hands on brass yet). To be honest, I found the recoil on par with my light weight 300 WSM Kimber Montana and my 9 lb. T/C Encore 375 H&H. The recoil pad on the Hogue stock soaks up a lot of the recoil. When I shoot off of a bench I don't usually hold the forend of the stock and the barrel barely rose a couple of inches off the front bag. I wouldn't do an all-day shooting session with it, but the recoil is definitely manageable for anyone who can shoot any of the smaller magnums.