Thread: Prospective boat concerns

Default Prospective boat concerns

I am looking at a boat right now that on the out side looks great. But as I look further I see that there are a few issues. The boat is an 18' klamath. sitting on an EZ loader, with a 40 hp evinrude VRO on the back. the boat is about 20 years old. Here are my concerns.

The trailer tires are wearing abnormally on the inside.

There is some welding on the hull, and there are 3 more small cracks in the hull.

some of the welding on the ribs is busted out.

so what can anyone tell me about there experience with Klamath boats that are 20 years old, the metal that they used, and what is wrong with the trailer.

I am also interested in how much you think the rig is worth and how much it would cost to fix it up.

Thanks
    "When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it."
    Henry Ford

I would'nt touch it if it's in the shape you say. I just sold a 1989 klamath last summer that was starting to show the same symptoms as what your looking at. I had to do a little welding on it toward the end. I got rid of it just in time.

If you are not an expert welder where you can repair this boat yourself I would run away from it. This boat would give new meaning to the term "Money Pit".
    Tennessee

My current boat is an '89 Klamath 18' offshore. I love it. It's a great boat. That said, they are built pretty light and if it has been abused then it is probably already past it's service life. The only way you are going to come out good on the deal is if you can pick it up very cheap and do the work your self to fix her up again. I would say it's probably a $2500 boat at best.

that is what my thoughts were, it's to bad, it's a nice boat topside, but as I research I am finding those issues to be a common theme in the older klamaths. thanks
    "When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it."
    Henry Ford