Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: BRWNBR. Meet. Kodiak Combos

My billy was 9Ē and overall I would say hair wasnít as long as some November goats Iíve seen but man is it thick and wooly.
    Saw a bunch more today, wifeís holding out for a billy. Got one we are gonna check tomorrow but heís gonna take some
    Walking.
    Jeffís wife gave him a shopping list. So we filled it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Nice, and looking back I don't know why I got your billy and the other mixed up! Looks like a great trip, and I am crazy jealous.

Quote Originally Posted by johnnycake View Post
    Nice, and looking back I don't know why I got your billy and the other mixed up! Looks like a great trip, and I am crazy jealous.
    We should get a half dozen guys together from the forum and beg Jeff to do a forum trip some winter.
    Master guide 212

Bucket list stuff...congrats
    "Ė Gas boats are bad enough, autos are an invention of the devil, and airplanes are worse." ~Allen Hasselborg

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    We should get a half dozen guys together from the forum and beg Jeff to do a forum trip some winter.
    Count me in if the price is right.

Quote Originally Posted by Bushwhack Jack View Post
    Count me in if the price is right.
    Crud Iíd even buy vegetables if the price is right. Iíll have to chat with Jeff. Heís cool. But heís smart so he may not want to meet most
    Of you rowdy rabble.
    Master guide 212

Now there's and idea! That would be a hoot!

After helping pack 4 goats off mountains for other people and getting skunked twice when I finally had a tag in my pocket, I'm thinking a goat that delivers itself to the water is just the thing I need!

Lol. Jeff was afraid of this. Not all the goats are right by the water. We had about 15 legal goats yesterday that we saw. If conditions were all perfect I would say 8 or 10 of them you could have killed and dragged to the beach. None where what we were looking for. But there is plenty that would take some sweat and some climbing.
    Master guide 212

Having done 2 fishing trips with Jeff, count me in for another for sure!!!
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

Great hunt Jake. That looks like a lot of fun. That has to be one of your easiest hunts??

Lol. Jeff was afraid of this. Not all the goats are right by the water. We had about 15 legal goats yesterday that we saw. If conditions were all perfect I would say 8 or 10 of them you could have killed and dragged to the beach. None where what we were looking for. But there is plenty that would take some sweat and some climbing.
    Ha!

I've been coveting and watching reports from Jeff's hunters for enough years I know you lucked out on 3 easy goats. But that just means there's still a chance!

Default BRWNBR. Meet. Kodiak Combos

Quote Originally Posted by Casper50 View Post
    Matt Meade and I just got back from hunting goats on the 8th. Flew in on the 6th, flew back to Kodiak late on the 7th with 3 nannies. Lots of snow where we went.

Nice pile of meat there, and man, I wouldíve bet money that one was a billy! Looks like someone got a good scope kiss to boot.

Quote Originally Posted by AK Troutbum View Post
    Looks like someone got a good scope kiss to boot.

I was gonna say something but I didn't want to be the first one. Musta been shooting uphill.

Sign me up!

Well Rudi wanted a billy for her last tag. We had been seeing a super low one since the first day but the surf has always been to much to land the boat close. So. Today. Valentineís Day. I take my awesome wife for a three mile one way beach hike over nasty jagged rocks. Her billy waited for us. 150 yard shot in his bed and he promptly fell right onto the beach. Two goats. Two shots. Both on the tide line. Nice billy a little over 9Ē on his long side. Right at 9Ē on the short.
    While we were skimming a softball size rock sailed off the mountain and landed right between us, exploding like a gunshot and hitting Rudi with shrapnel! We drug the goat farther out after that. Talk about close!!

Kodiak Combos is the real deal. Jeff Peterson is good at what he does. Iíve been around a lot of guides and people that work with clients. Jeff is good. Great sense of humor, knows his stuff. It was a treat to have the chance to share the island with him. Iíve been referring people to him for years because of his reputation, but now I can say I know the man. Thanks Jeff.

Master guide 212

Well Rudi wanted a billy for her last tag. We had been seeing a super low one since the first day but the surf has always been to much to land the boat close. So. Today. Valentineís Day. I take my awesome wife for a three mile one way beach hike over nasty jagged rocks. Her billy waited for us. 150 yard shot in his bed and he promptly fell right onto the beach. Two goats. Two shots. Both on the tide line. Nice billy a little over 9Ē on his long side. Right at 9Ē on the short.
    While we were skimming a softball size rock sailed off the mountain and landed right between us, exploding like a gunshot and hitting Rudi with shrapnel! We drug the goat farther out after that. Talk about close!!

Kodiak Combos is the real deal. Jeff Peterson is good at what he does. Iíve been around a lot of guides and people that work with clients. Jeff is good. Great sense of humor, knows his stuff. It was a treat to have the chance to share the island with him. Iíve been referring people to him for years because of his reputation, but now I can say I know the man. Thanks Jeff.

Wow, what a toad! The bases are ginormous! I only had the pleasure of guiding one goat hunter one time, when I was an assistant guide many years ago. My boss told me hunting goats is basically like hunting sheep except goats hang out in the nosebleed section. I was lucky to help a guy harvest a nice billy with 9 15/16" horns. It was a big billy. I think we looked it up on the Boone and Crocket record book and it ranked #34 or something like that. Funny thing is, he almost shot it with a bow, but we went after a nanny the day before and the alders knocked off his peep sight, so he opted to use his rifle instead. He ended up shooting his billy not more than 40 yards away. But I think the bases on that billy your wife shot are far bigger. I am so glad your trip went off without a hitch. You got yourself a good woman to go out on a winter goat hunt with ya. You better hold on to that one for sure! And I'm glad nobody got hurt. Sounds like the good Lord was watching out for you guys!

He's a beauty for sure. And SO glad that rock didn't take one of you out! You mentioned before how thick these winter goat hides are. When telling people about them, about the only way I could think of describing them is cotton balls with legs!
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    He's a beauty for sure. And SO glad that rock didn't take one of you out! You mentioned before how thick these winter goat hides are. When telling people about them, about the only way I could think of describing them is cotton balls with legs!
    Ya that wool is so dense you almost canít find the leather. Pain to make cuts in. But over all length isnít what it is in November.
    Master guide 212

Heard that there was snow galore and more coming. Would there be any value to bringing crampons or snow shoes if you were headed out in a month? Would you recommend taking a double wall tent if you were staying down there for a week?

Asking for a friend...

Single wall tents I avoid unless it has a stove in it. A month feom now? Geez leaves could be coming out by then. Kodiak has a funny way of stopping winter and starting spring overnight. A month from
    Now goats could be shedding hair and 50 degrees. Iíd bring snowshoes right now. And crampons. Lots of ice.
    Master guide 212

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast