Thread: Trouble shooting spincasting ice fishing reels freezing up

Default Trouble shooting spincasting ice fishing reels freezing up

So first of all, I should start off by saying that when I ice fish for lake trout and burbot I like to use a baitcasting reel. That being said, I often times bring friends and relatives out to my cabin and very often I have to equip them with gear for fishing and I can't afford to buy expensive good quality gear for everybody. So my spare ice fishing rods tend to be spincasting rod and reel combos that can be purchased for $100 or less. However, I've noticed a problem with the spincasting reels not functioning properly when it's really cold out and they tend to freeze up. The drag ceases to function and the line just peels right off the reel. That, and you can't set the hook on a fish. But then, when I bring the reels indoors or inside an ice tent with a heater for about 20-30 minutes they start working again. I can't figure out if it's a problem with the drag or possibly the braided line is freezing and not biting down or grabbing on the reel. I've tried using different reels from Berkley to Fleugers so I don't think it is a particular brand that is the problem. The knot I am using to attach to the reel is a Uni knot, which I assume is a good knot. I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced these same problems with spincasting reels and if so, what is the solution to the problem? Thanks.

I've never had that happen, but it could be the bearing grease freezing up on you

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

We use presidents and don't have any issues so far. We put about 20 feet of mono on the spool first then attach the braid to that. That should take care of the line slipping on the spool. Interesting that the drags are freezing up. Maybe put some grease in there

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
    I will never be a "Prostaffer" its not that I am not good enough
    but its because I refuse to pimp products for free.

In the very cold weather the spool shrinks in size, so if you did not put tape, or mono on the spool first the braid will slip.

little piece of electrical tape when you tie on that braid will lock it to the reel. I run 12lb braid to 4' of fluorocarbon on all my gear and have yet to have an issue.

"Whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword obviously never encountered automatic weapons."

I’ve been having the same problem. With a bait caster and all my spinning reels that have braid on them. The mono spinning reel has had no issues. Can someone explain the tape deal again? Just put tape around the spool before you put line on it?

exactly, just put a wrap of tape around the spool then tie your braid on.

Quote Originally Posted by ProHunterAK View Post
    little piece of electrical tape when you tie on that braid will lock it to the reel. I run 12lb braid to 4' of fluorocarbon on all my gear and have yet to have an issue.
    Quote Originally Posted by kwackkillncrew View Post
    exactly, just put a wrap of tape around the spool then tie your braid on.
    Just curious what knot you fellas are using? Uni knot, arbor knot, or something else? Thanks

probably the wrong way to do it but i havent had any issue. I just double knot it on. you know the first half of what it takes to tie your shoe (twice) haha

Quote Originally Posted by kwackkillncrew View Post
    probably the wrong way to do it but i havent had any issue. I just double knot it on. you know the first half of what it takes to tie your shoe (twice) haha
    Yeah, I think that's pretty much what an Arbor knot is anyway. Slightly different but not much.