Thread: 20 mile slough

Default 20 mile slough

Hey guys, I bought some property about half way up 20 mile slough and am hoping some of you yentna river rats can tell me what access is like in late fall during moose season. Iíve got a 20 ft wooldridge Alaskan II and have gotten some mixed reports which Iím sure is from different skill levels. Thanks a bunch you guys rock!

Late fall for the most part is not an issue, your boat will do fine but just have the necessary recovery stuff in case you stick it on a sandbar or run out of water along the way.
    Watch the water levels as they can vary by feet that time of year and when you pull in and park somewhere in the evening you may be high and dry come morning or if there is alot of ran in the mountains it will come up surprisingly fast.
    There can be a lot of submerged trees also so keep an eye for them along the way, remember they will be pointed at you when you are going upstream.
    For the most part 20 mile slough is a really nice run and it is a short run up to skwentna roadhouse for fuel if needed.
    Mike

Got it Mike! Much appreciated, hope to see you up there.

I had no problems in there last season or three years ago when I hunted it with water levels. Last season I was in there during mid-September. If you have any questions PM me.

Default Alaskan XL

Quote Originally Posted by akarmy View Post
    Hey guys, I bought some property about half way up 20 mile slough and am hoping some of you yentna river rats can tell me what access is like in late fall during moose season. Iíve got a 20 ft wooldridge Alaskan II and have gotten some mixed reports which Iím sure is from different skill levels. Thanks a bunch you guys rock!
    I ran it a bunch last year and the water levels were crazy low, hot summer little rain. I have a yellow Alaskan XL jet, similar to yours probably to include length. Couple of my choice fishing sloughs the water level were so low no fish let alone boats could get up in there.

The year before awesome fishing holes and water levels were perfect.

Take is slow and the first time in the spring you might want to take a chainsaw to week out the river. Recovery gear is a must have, unless you have a few friends with strong backs, if not you can mount a recovery winch.

The inlet water will make a difference hi tide low tied , will do a job on your boat , for the first mile or so , after that you will have a a river to move on
    that it easy the first couple of times to get the field of the river an water

Quote Originally Posted by Sid View Post
    The inlet water will make a difference hi tide low tied , will do a job on your boat , for the first mile or so , after that you will have a a river to move on
    that it easy the first couple of times to get the field of the river an water
    20 mile Slough, not river..

Thanks for all the replies guys. Infsid were you saying you couldnít get up 20 mile at all or just the side slough for fishing. I always have recovery gear and chainsaw no matter what, only takes one 8 hr day on a sandbar to not to that again!