Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: -50 forecast - how to get your truck started

Quote Originally Posted by MacGyver View Post
    I like your idea of having a warm 2nd battery to back up the one in the truck. The weak point IMP is the jumper cables. I would make them out of Arctic ultraflex blue 2 AWG cable or larger. Heavy-duty eyelet lugs for the batteries and high amperage welding cable connectors to guarantee a good connection.
    Yes! Too small of a wire and they heat up. As they heat up, the resistance to the flow of electrons increases and they get hotter. Properly sized cables are important.
    Last edited by Daveinthebush; 4 Weeks Ago at 11:01. Reason: My "L" doesn't always work.

Patriot Life Member NRA
    Life Member Veterans of Foreign Wars
    Life Member Disabled American Veterans

Well, I'll add my .02cents worth,,,,, ie.... Battery Composition/Construction, AGM or GEL, NO Flooded Batteries Allowed.
    I went away from Flooded Batteries yrs, and yrs ago,,,,, you can't run fast enough to GIVE me one.
    TG
    [ USMC 1st Marine Div. 7th Engineers, VietNam 69-71, Semper-Fi ]

Quote Originally Posted by The German View Post
    Well, I'll add my .02cents worth,,,,, ie.... Battery Composition/Construction, AGM or GEL, NO Flooded Batteries Allowed.
    I went away from Flooded Batteries yrs, and yrs ago,,,,, you can't run fast enough to GIVE me one.
    TG
    Yes AGM's are awesome in the cold.

I've just fired up my Honda 2000 and plugged the truck into that. Our cabin is only a few miles from the parking lot, so I'll ride out and get it going and then go back to the cabin to finish packing. I bring a cable lock to attach it to the truck so it is less likely to walk away while I'm gone.

-20 with 30 + mph winds - truck started no problem, glad too since it would have been a disaster trying to thaw anything in that wind.

This summer I am planning to install a second battery (easy mod on this truck) and I'm going to take a look at the hydronic heater. I tend to look for the multifunction in anything big I buy, so a generator or the heater in the box BK Marine sells, etc. are more attractive - but those also have to be items left behind that could be stolen out of the truck and then you're hosed. Always something to worry about!

I tried the remote start function once and came back to a truck about out of gas! Never going that route again on a multi-day trip.

Sure wish there was a satellite phone option for the remote starts, may need to research that and see if there isn't something possible

Glad it worked out well for you. Lots of good information in this post for others in the future.

Patriot Life Member NRA
    Life Member Veterans of Foreign Wars
    Life Member Disabled American Veterans

Quote Originally Posted by akjw7 View Post

This summer I am planning to install a second battery (easy mod on this truck)
    If your planning on using 2- 6 V GC batteries in series, I agree it will be easy and a big improvement over what you have.

On the other hand, if your going to add a 2nd 12 V battery across the original one in the truck (parallel). You are going to have problems next winter starting the truck. There are several do’s and don’t that must be followed to insure two batteries in parallel act as a single battery when being charged or discharge, or just use a single bigger (Ahr.) 12 V battery if there is room.

Wasilla, behind 3 Bears on the Palmer Wasilla Hwy

Make sure you unplug your trailer if you have one with trailer brakes. I think it's the magnets in the brakes that have a small electrical draw. Anyway, at those temps you don't want anything pulling power from a battery, no matter how small the draw.

And turn off the automatic headlights.
    When seconds count, the cops are just minutes away.
    '08 24' HCM Granite HD "River Dog"
    2018 12' Moto Jet "River Pup"

Quote Originally Posted by The German View Post
    TG
    FYI......AGM is still a flooded battery
    “We have digressed from a Nation of Revolutionaries to a country of entitlements"

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Akgramps View Post
    FYI......AGM is still a flooded battery
    Well Gramps,,,,,, sounds like you need to do alittle more Homework,,,,, ie... A Flooded Battery has "LIQUID-ACID" in ea. Cell, and that Cell has a Threaded Cap on said Cell,,,,, so as to Add more Acid, or Distilled Water when needed, and to be able to Read Specific-Gravity with a Battery Hydrometer, in said Cell,,,,,,

None of this above, is Applicable to a AGM or Gel Type of Battery, Period!!!!!!

When you get a chance,,,,, Google.... AGM and GEL Battery Composition ie.... VRLA Batteries.

TG
    [ USMC 1st Marine Div. 7th Engineers, VietNam 69-71, Semper-Fi ]

I would consider a small torpedo heater to tuck under the tarp/blanket. Just don't get it too close to your paint.
    "Ebbtide" 27 X 9 GlacierCraft
    MMSI#

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12