Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Shooting Bears at night.

Quote Originally Posted by AK Troutbum View Post
    Alright, now you got me hooked! Come on, give it up.
    It is on this forum someplace.......I'll try find it.

Supporting Member

Quote Originally Posted by yukon254 View Post
    A story I would like to hear someday; sure glad you made it out from under him and survived the ordeal.
    He ain't been right ever since.
    Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by Bushwhack Jack View Post
    Well, there is some truth to that statement as well. For example I have been hunting in some locations in the Northern Brooks Range and I've had some encounters with bears there that were unusually bold and aggressive towards people. Almost like the've never seen a person so they have no fear. Then there are those bears that are used to people, but the people are aggressive to the bears. In these situations, I believe the bears learn pretty quickly to avoid humans because humans are a danger to them. And then there are those bears that are used to people, but the people treat them like they are Gods and that they untouchable immortals or something. This is the case with the Anchorage bears IMO. These bears learn pretty quickly that they can get away with murder (literally). It's these bears that are the most dangerous IMO.
    I think yew be right.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Quote Originally Posted by swampdonkey View Post
    You ever see those little LED flashing lights that you turn on/off? They strobe and they're bright as all get-out. They use them (from what I could tell) mainly for bicyclists too either wear or place on their bikes. You can get a 3pack for about $10.00.. I carry 6 with me on hunts. I've put three (3) on my animal at night if I have too leave them and/or use them periodically around camp after lights out, especially IF I KNOW there's a bear around. In the AM when I'm looking for sign, I've found it, but I haven't had a bear get much closer then 20-30yds when using them. A guy told me a few years back about them and he swears by it. I tried it and so far, I think they might actually work. My .02...
    That kinda light just might work. I was talking about just a plain light.

I've got a cupla flashlights with the strobe option. Until recently, I didn't know what they were for. I thought it was for signalling. It's a little confusing, how many pushes or half pushes on the switch to get it into play.

Thanks for the info.

Smitty of the North
    You can't out-give God.

Quote Originally Posted by SmokeRoss View Post
    He ain't been right ever since.
    Discovered that prayer helps sometimes. Also what a penis sheath looks like a few inches from my forehead. And what big claws and big back feet look like, when looking down at the top from 16-18 inches. He did not smell at all.....actually smelled clean, like freshly showered. There was a lot of time to notice things, when waiting for a horrific death.

Quote Originally Posted by SmokeRoss View Post
    Ricochet much? My grandson was shot in the arm by a friend who thought shooting into the water near him would be funny.
    Nope, not I noticed.

Smitty of the North
    You can't out-give God.

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    Discovered that prayer helps sometimes. Also what a penis sheath looks like a few inches from my forehead. And what big claws and big back feet look like, when looking down at the top from 16-18 inches. He did not smell at all.....actually smelled clean, like freshly showered. There was a lot of time to notice things, when waiting for a horrific death.
    Did he live to tell his buddies about it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by AK Troutbum View Post
    Did he live to tell his buddies about it?

YES........as far as know. We did not hurt him.

Supporting Member

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    You sure it wasn't Bigfoot? JK. I have been charged by bears a few times but so far I haven't been pounced on. One of them I killed with a .44 magnum and it dropped right by my feet. Other times I was at work logging and unarmed. My observation is that bears are most unpredictable when they are breeding in the spring.
    Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234