Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Yet another fine example of Alaskan humanity

Quote Originally Posted by Bluehawk View Post
    Curious as to why there is only 4 counts of a Class A Misdemeanor? I would think there should be 25 counts of wanton waste minimum, on top of the marten sets and the use of game meat as bait.
    IMO this has to be one of the biggest Poaching cases in the state for a long time. 25 moose not salvaging the meat. Not to mention how many cows he harvested that would lead to how many more moose in future generations? The poaching case in Anchor Point a few years back was bad and had a ton of charges. This case is "20" (moose) times worse and seems to be lighter repercussions.
    I'm guessing because they don't have evidence of the other 24. If he gets a lawyer, they will never be able to actually pin those on him, even with his statement now. They will get him for the easy ones and just max out the charges there. My guess will be full fine and loss of hunting and fishing privileges for a decade. I'm curious about his mental state too. Why offer up that has has done this before? It's amazing that he was never caught.

Quote Originally Posted by Finaddict91 View Post
    I'm guessing because they don't have evidence of the other 24. If he gets a lawyer, they will never be able to actually pin those on him, even with his statement now.
    You would think that with his confession, lawyer or not, that would be enough to get him on all 25 for wanton waste. But of course, I don't know all the ins-n-outs of the law. You could be right.
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    You would think that with his confession, lawyer or not, that would be enough to get him on all 25 for wanton waste. But of course, I don't know all the ins-n-outs of the law. You could be right.
    In each case they would need specific evidence of each animal. For example if someone confessed to 25 murders, they can't be charged without a body or evidence linking them to a missing person. I am sure they are doing and investigation, more charges will follow.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluehawk View Post
    IMO this has to be one of the biggest Poaching cases in the state for a long time.
    Remember the two guys who poached over 300 bears one year for "ONLY" the gallbladders.

This is simply not right. I have to wonder (for the sake of wondering, not an excuse) what his mental state and capacity is? I can't get my head around it being anything but a considered series of bad acts, but maybe there's another reason.

I'd agree (with doing zero further reading) with other posters; the charges seem so reduced as to be silly, but I suspect there's a significant evidence issue.
    Back in AK

Quote Originally Posted by Finaddict91 View Post
    I'm guessing because they don't have evidence of the other 24. If he gets a lawyer, they will never be able to actually pin those on him, even with his statement now. They will get him for the easy ones and just max out the charges there. My guess will be full fine and loss of hunting and fishing privileges for a decade. I'm curious about his mental state too. Why offer up that has has done this before? It's amazing that he was never caught.
    This makes sense. Courts would be hard pressed and the lack of evidence would be the dagger. Just makes me crawl inside with anger knowing someone let 25 moose go to waste at the age of 24 with probably zero remorse.

Sad event to say the least.

in my mind, someone must have taught him to do this.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12